Aimpoint PRO vs. Trijicon MRO?

View Latest Activity

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment Optics Aimpoint PRO vs. Trijicon MRO?

Viewing 30 reply threads
  • Author
      frostysilverback
      Participant

I’m getting a new RDS and its down to the Aimpoint PRO and the Trijicon MRO. Price point is within $100 of each other so that is not the deciding factor. I have a bunch of trigger time with the Aimpoint and I like it. I’ve handled the MRO and I’m reasonably impressed, but I have not had any serious time with the MRO. What I’m really asking is “who has run the MRO hard and would they still recommend it?” Any input is appreciated.

Corvette
        Participant

I sure love the attachment (Mount) system on the PRO. I don’t like the dot size for what I do. It could be one MOA smaller or one MOA larger and it would work better for my application.

hellokitty
          Participant

I am familiar with Aimpoint PRO and M-4 sights. I am not familiar with MRO. compqarison of ruggedness aside. What is the battery life in MRO? I know the Aimpoint Pro is 2 years continuous and the M-4 is 3 years I beleive. Does MRO compare in that category?

HEAT 1(CTT) X 3
            HEAT 2 (CP) X1
            FOF X3
            OPFOR X2
            CLC X2
            RIFLEMAN

frostysilverback
            Participant

Battery for the MRO is a 2032 watch battery and burn time on the median setting is 3yrs. So really most of the specs are comparable.

SeanT
              Keymaster

Wait for 1st Sgt. He has experience with one I am pretty sure.

Robert
                Participant

MRO is a new product, not sure if they currently have a factory lead time on them, but I waited four months for the first shipment of those. Unfortunately they didn’t stay in stock long enough for me to get to pull one for myself :)

The MRO has a larger view, and they are pushing that for more spatial awareness/situation awareness.

MRO is shorter length compared to PRO which could be a consideration if rail space is an issue. Both have NV settings.

As to build I’d say they are pretty darn similar.

PRO is cheaper. Currently Aimpoint is out a few weeks on PROs. This is actually the longest I’ve waited on them currently.

Neither one has much of a markup, but I can discount some for Alumni. Have a handful of PROs in this next shipment that are not pre-sold.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

I can’t speak to the durability, since I’ve only used a friends.

I do like it’s view better than the Aimpoints.

First Sergeant

My son has an MRO on his rifle. He used it this past weekend at the remote CRS class that I taught.

It is a damn good sight. My son and I both like it because it has the larger view than the Pro.

Battery life is 5 years.

I have used the Pro in the past and just didn’t like the smaller view. The MRO is better in that respect.

Trijicon makes extremely rugged and durable sights. Aimpoint does also. It comes down to what your preference is. I would recommend the MRO because of the larger field of view.

The only mounts we use for optics are Larue quick detach mounts. I can’t say enough good about them. I have one on my ACOG and my son has one on his MRO. They are guaranteed return to zero if you take it off the rifle and they live up to that.

FILO
                      Signal Out, Can You Identify
                      Je ne regrette rien
                      In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

frostysilverback
                      Participant

Thank you everyone for all the thoughtful imput. That’s exactly the type of info I needed.

Robert
                        Participant

Got a heads up today from my rep at Aimpoint. We’ve been waiting on a shipment of PRO’s since July. I got an eta finally on them, but asked what was lead time now on PRO orders.

Her reply-

16-20 weeks now for all new orders of the PRO.

Regards,

I’m assuming that they will get caught up and cut this time a bit, but if the election goes sideways, I expect lead time on things like this will increase as it has done in the past. Suffice to say if you need it, you better get on it! No I don’t have any available for sale, just a friendly PSA on these.

I’ll be ordering some more MROs from Trijicon here soon, I’ll post any lead times they give me.

I flipping hate election years….

JohnnyMac
                          Participant

I have a PRO, I do not have a MRO but I can tell you the PRO is on the heavier side at 11.6 oz with the standard mount. It might not seem like much but I noticed a pretty big difference in handling coming from a microdot. I ended up taking it off and going back to the microdot. With that said, I’d go MRO (4oz plus mount).

JohnnyMac
                            Participant

As a follow up, I now have both. The MRO has better field of view, is lighter weight and, by my eye, a crisper dot. The MRO IS however not exactly 1x, it’s like 1.1x. In use at the range, shooting with both eyes open, the slight magnification on the MRO causes double vision. IF you shoot with both eyes open, I would say steer clear of the MRO, otherwise- go with the MRO.

Max
                              Keymaster

JM: I’ve been eying an MRO on my wish list, and just read this thread. I am perplexed by what you said about the MRO.

For example, with a x4 ACOG, it is designed to be used both eyes open using the Binden aiming concept. As you scan you use both eyes, as you settle in the target the dominant eye takes over and zooms you in on the aiming point/target. It really does work.

Comments on the MRO being x1.1 rather than x1? I’m perplexed.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

I don’t own a MRO yet, but have used a friends during a brief range session and didn’t notice magnification or double image.

This review mentions this topic.

Trijicon MRO Review

Excerpt:

Magnification

As stated, the optic is designed without magnification. There has been some debate online if there is any magnification with the optic. When using it, I could not perceive any magnification.

I should note that any time you put glass between your eye and the thing at which you are looking, you are altering what you see. Better glass alters less than cheap glass, but all glass will affect your viewing. However, with the best glass, the changes are imperceptible. As I stated, I could not see any magnification.

JohnnyMac do you have any eye condition or vision imperfection?

I figure either there is an issue with certain users individual vision or there was something different with a MRO manufactured batch/lot.

Keeper
                                  Participant

I picked up a MRO with a medium mount from Robert and got it mounted. Very compact, clear and quick to find the dot on target. I had an EO tech for a while got rid of it (fuzzy site) got a 3x prism scope which is great but after going though FoF it was hard as hell to use it while wearing the mask and googles, so I went to the MRO and love it.

First Sergeant

As a follow up, I now have both. The MRO has better field of view, is lighter weight and, by my eye, a crisper dot. The MRO IS however not exactly 1x, it’s like 1.1x. In use at the range, shooting with both eyes open, the slight magnification on the MRO causes double vision. IF you shoot with both eyes open, I would say steer clear of the MRO, otherwise- go with the MRO.

I am interested in this also. My son runs an MRO and neither one of us has had any problem running it both eyes open. I also know of a couple other guys that are running them and have not reported any problems with it.

FILO
                                      Je ne regrette rien
                                      In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

tmbk2
                                      Participant

MRO vs Aimpoint T1 or similar are all good and a must have but a recommendation is a Ford vs Chevy debate…. Toyota, Dodge… Everyone has an opinion or feeling. Many I run with have had them all and still seem to dither on a recommendation. I like 1 x 4x illuminated variables or ACOGs… Best advice is just get something in the top main brands and consider resale potential. Cheers!

JohnnyMac
                                        Participant

Sorry guys for the late reply- I just stumbled on this because I just got back from the range a few hours ago giving the MRO another try.

Sure enough, I experienced the same effect. It isn’t wildly magnified or anything- maybe a better word is distortion? It’s particularly noticable around the edges of the glass. I was with a friend, and without me asking he mentioned the effect I’m talking about. As for my vision, I don’t wear glasses and don’t notice any issues. Of minor note, I AM right handed, left eye dominant.

My impression is that the effect isn’t enough to drastically change my shots. Is it something I could get used to? I’m sure. I think the thing is though, I don’t experience this with ANY other optic I have (Aimpoint, 4 PA Advanced micros, vortex strikefire, hell even the variable optics that I have- Burris Tac30 1-4 and Bushnell Elite 1-6) :unsure:

JohnnyMac
                                          Participant
                                            First Sergeant

Of minor note, I AM right handed, left eye dominant.

This may be part of the issue. I also am right handed and left eye dominant. I have had issues with different optics in the past. I found that it is a mixture of finding the right eye relief and training your eyes to work with the sight. Does that make sense?

FILO
                                              Je ne regrette rien
                                              In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

RRS
                                              Participant

F.S. in your classes do you stress shooting with both eyes open?

JohnnyMac
                                                Participant

Roger 1SG, it’s definitely something I could train my eyes to work with, I’m just deciding if that’s what I should do or ditch it.

First Sergeant

F.S. in your classes do you stress shooting with both eyes open?

We do.

But it also depends on the person. Some people have issues with being able to shoot with both eyes open. Do to any number of reasons. With some it is about training their eyes to work that way or like the example above being cross eye dominant.

FILO
                                                    Je ne regrette rien
                                                    In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

Bill G.
                                                    Participant

I actually just shipped my EOTECH back for a full refund due to zeroing issues, plus hated the adjustments. I was leaning towards the PRO but now Im considering the MRO. I would love to have the ACOG 4×32…what are you guys thoughts on this optic and is it NV compatible?

Andrew
                                                      Participant
                                                        Mike Q
                                                        Participant

Bill G. The aimpoint Pro is NV compatible. The ACOG has tritium in the scope itself to light up the reticle.

First Sergeant

I actually just shipped my EOTECH back for a full refund due to zeroing issues, plus hated the adjustments. I was leaning towards the PRO but now Im considering the MRO. I would love to have the ACOG 4×32…what are you guys thoughts on this optic and is it NV compatible?

The night vision capability is a moot point unless you are going to permanently mount your nods to your rifle behind the sight.

FILO
                                                            Je ne regrette rien
                                                            In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

Bill G.
                                                            Participant

Ok got it…shows you my ignorance. Saving towards my nods setup right now. Plan to eventually take the night firing class. So I want my rifle set up correctly for this.

Bill G.
                                                              Participant

“I will say this, in my opinion, it would be better to have one battle rifle equipped with an IR laser, have a PVS 14 mounted on a ballistic helmet, and a handheld FLIR thermal imager, than a safe full of rifles and no night vision capability. ” Max

This is what im shooting for…already sold one rifle, and 25 a week goes in the can!

First Sergeant

Ok got it…shows you my ignorance. Saving towards my nods setup right now. Plan to eventually take the night firing class. So I want my rifle set up correctly for this.

That’s why you are here, to learn. From your last post you are headed in the right direction.

FILO
                                                                  Je ne regrette rien
                                                                  In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

Virgil Kane
                                                                  Participant

I was reading through this thread about MRO magnification.

Trijicon says in the FAQ that the MRO does indeed have a slight magnification.

Does the MRO® have any “Fish-Eye” or distortion?

The lenses of the Trijicon MRO do not produce optical distortion commonly referred to as “fish-eye.” Any perceived distortion by the end user is either more accurately described as image shift or could be due to the slight magnification of the MRO (see respective FAQ’s).

Is the MRO® magnified?

The Trijicon MRO has a very slight magnification of 1.05x, which is within the range of competitive reflex-style sights. This slight magnification allows the MRO to have an optimally-focused target scene and a crisp, clear reticle dot. The slight magnification does not affect the usability or performance of the optic.

Viewing 30 reply threads
                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.