Aimpoint CompM4s with Aimpoint 3x magnifier

View Latest Activity

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment Optics Aimpoint CompM4s with Aimpoint 3x magnifier

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      winter_is_coming
      Participant

I am looking at Aimpoint CompM4s (s meaning low battery position) with Aimpoint 3x magnifier – does anyone use that set up (for M4 rifle)? Also, for those using such set up, requesting recommendations re 3x magnifier mount – there is a flip to side mount and a mount that simply comes off – the benefit of the one that comes off is (apparently) use as a stand alone 3 x monocular … is this a good idea or is the flip to side mount the way to go? Lastly, there is a NEW Aimpoint CompM5 – apparently lighter weight, uses AAA in instead of AA, but has high battery – does anyone use the M5 and does the high battery obscure situational vision at all? TYIA.

A_A_Ron2guns
        Participant

I’m not familiar with the Comp5 but I will say if you’re looking for a solution to the one size fits all optic it’s a hard one. I’ve played with the flip to side FTS and it was not worth the weight.

You’re better off doing a no bullshit assessment of what you’re trying to do with your rifle and getting an optic to fit that role.

An ACOG will give you an excellent fixed power and is still fast. An Aimpoint is very fast and easy to use up close and honestly 3x is kinda weak.

Your other option is a low power variable optic but a casual shooter will not usually be a fan of these as the 1x gives them problems with eye relief.

For all the money and weight I’d suggest a good fiber optic ACOG.

TC
          Participant

The Comp M5 has the same window size as the Micro, so you’re not getting much simply for the ability to use AAAs. CR2032s are cheap and small so the Micro makes more sense to me.

I have an Aimpoint Micro with 3X-C magnifier (the civ model). It works but 1) weight is annoying for what you get, 2) eye box is small (you get scope shadow easily with head movement and dot disappears when that happens), 3) field of view isn’t the greatest either, 4) extra glass and blue tint means not bright view on par with a Barska scope, which can be a problem in low light. Further, if your flip mount has any wiggle, the dot will jump around unpredictably. I leave the magnifier off my 12.5″ AR most of the time except bench shooting and zeroing.

So after selling a bunch of gear to gather the funds, I bought an ACOG and put it on my primary 16″ gun. As long as you can do the both-eyes-open method you can use it like a red dot at close distance. No telling how well it works with your eyes/brain until you try it and practice. Red dot has complementary risk of looking like a starburst if you have astigmatism. If the ACOG were my only optic I wouldn’t feel disadvantaged though (other than financially lol). Biggest pros: lightweight, daylight bright reticle in daytime due to fiber optic, good field of view, bright clear glass, tough, and the ACSS model has ranging and wind holds out to 800 yards. Cons: eye needs to be 1.5-2″ from the scope, and 5% of the time you get a black reticle due to being in the shade looking into a bright scene.

First Sergeant

What is your primary purpose of your rifle?

What kind of area do you live in? Rural or urban?

FILO
              Signal Out, Can You Identify
              Je ne regrette rien
              In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

winter_is_coming
              Participant

First Sergeant –
                AO = basically rural small town with closeby wilderness
                Range – close to 300 -400 meters

DuaneH
                Participant

When people ask these questions of me, I typically tell them that good training will answer their equipment needs.

That being said: My primary rifle has an ACOG on it, but I have other rifles with Aimpoints and even one with a variable powered scope.

Having trained with all of them I know what their limitations are and what they do well.

Red dots are best for rapid sight acquisition on targets that are close in. It is not really for engaging targets past the zeroed range (200 or 300 meters depending on what your preferred zero is) but if you know your rifle you can engage targets beyond your MPBR using holdovers. With red dots the disadvantage is that at distance they are not as good at target detection. Even at 100 yards a magnified optic can help you detect someone behind concealment with camo on.

Magnified optics are good for targets at distance. In the case of the ACOG and some scopes they have a ballistic drop compensation reticle that assists you in engaging targets at distance. While they are not optimized for close in targets, they can be used for close in targets since the closer the target is, the less you need a precise sight picture. Some people have a mini red dot on top of their ACOG.

Personally I don’t like a lot of extra stuff on my rifles so I just have an ACOG or AImpoint. This is so I don’t have to go through a decision making process in a stressful situation.

If you don’t have a lot of training, I would recommend going with an Aimpoint and training with it and figure out where to go from there.

First Sergeant

First Sergeant –
                    AO = basically rural small town with closeby wilderness
                    Range – close to 300 -400 meters

ACOG

FILO
                    Signal Out, Can You Identify
                    Je ne regrette rien
                    In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.