30-30 Marlin Lever action

View Latest Activity

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • Author
      Joe (G.W.N.S.)

I really like my 30-30 Marlin for a general purpose hunting rifle.

The 30-30 was first marketed in early 1895 and was the US’s first small-bore, sporting rifle cartridge designed for smokeless powder.

In recent years much has been made of the Hornady LEVERevolution ammunition; a bit pricey, but it’s good ammo.

Until this release there wasn’t too many different factory loads available, however a little research reveals this wasn’t always the case.

In fact there have been factory loads for 30-30 suitable for everything from squirrel and up to anything available in North America.

Many of these loads are easily recreated with a minimum of equipment and are very cost effective.

The Lee Loader 30/30 WIN can be purchased for under $30 and can easily be used in the field to reload.

I’ve been using Lee Loaders for over 30 years in several calibers and even the discontinued 12 GA, but still available used. More on that in a different Thread.

More to come…

hellokitty
        Participant

Lever acton rifles are more accurate today than in past due to plastic tip bullets which have better ballistic coefficients than earlier bullets that have snubbed noses. FYI the reason is due to lever actions using tubular magazines. Not a good idea to have rounds with a pointed bullet end to end. Bad things can happen. But plastic tips are good to go. You can get sub MOA now with levers.

HEAT 1(CTT) X 3
          HEAT 2 (CP) X1
          FOF X3
          OPFOR X2
          CLC X2
          RIFLEMAN

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

But plastic tips are good to go.

I know what you mean, but to ensure others are aware.

From Hornady:

The key to its innovation and performance is the patented elastomer Flex Tip® technology of the FTX® and MonoFlex® bullets. Safe to use in tubular magazines, these bullets feature higher ballistic coefficients and deliver dramatically flatter trajectory for increased down range performance.

This is true for Factory loadings, however the so called “brushgun” moniker is certainly false when compared to quality handloads developed for the particular rifle.

Here are a couple of examples:

HiDesertRat
            Participant

.30-.30 is a great cartridge for most of the lower states. Living here in northern Idaho I would prefer lever action in .45-70. My Marlin rifle comes to mind. Why? Because it will take down anything I want to shoot here or if I decide to go to Alaska, no change. Yes, I know it shoots like a mortar, but it stops game in its tracks. Bush pilots in AK routinely have a .45-70 in their plane ‘just in case’ they go down.
              Think about it. Almost an ounce of lead, 1400 fps, hitting the target. And thats conventional ammo, not the new, engineered stuff. Absolutely nothing wrong with the .30-.30, just the geography. Think Afak and .556 and long distance and .308, use what’s appropriate.

riflemaniv
              Participant

My first hunting rifle was a Marlin in 35 rem. The LEVERevolution ammunition is really a huge improvement.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

The Lee Loader 30/30 WIN can be purchased for under $30 and can easily be used in the field to reload.

Here is one article describing a version of what I am getting at.

Campfire Bullet Casting and Loading

The tools needed…

The end result…

An effective possible solution for a “Post-Event” situation.

wparkinson4
                  Participant

We bear hunted all week last week and I saw the results of a 30-30 vs a 45-70. Not sure what the 45 ammo was but the 30 was 180gr nosler partition. While skinning out the bear the two rounds were in the same spot on the opposite shoulder. Both rounds penetrated both shoulders of the bear and were mushroomed beautifully. I was actually surprised to see the full penetration of the 30-30. The bear weighed 340 Lbs. Now I am not sure which round killed the bear but knowing the shooters I would be it was the 30-30 with an assist of the 45-70.

BTW… bear steak is awesome…. :yahoo:

WP

Oh yea one kid was carrying the Mossberg “Tactical” 30-30 and it was pretty cool. I like the fact that is was parkerized as apposed to blued. I could do without the collapsible stock, it seems kinda cheezie, but the sights were very nice, fiber optic front and rear. It also has a no shit flash suppressor. I got to handle it a little bit and although it looks a little gimicky I really liked it. Now I Bear hunt with a 300 BO.. and have not been disappointed…. :yes:

wparkinson4
                    Participant

Wanted to add some pics….

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

…Mossberg “Tactical” 30-30…

For those unfamiliar…

While in theory the stock may have use for adjusting to multiple shooters, it’s not for me, but the railed forend for a flashlight has merit.

The more traditional appearance is more appealing to me, the Mossberg top tang safety is superior to cross=bolt on newer lever guns, however the traditional use of the half cock was sufficient IMHO.

http://www.mossberg.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/41020-catalog.jpg

:good:

wparkinson4
                        Participant

…Mossberg “Tactical” 30-30…

For those unfamiliar…

While in theory the stock may have use for adjusting to multiple shooters, it’s not for me, but the railed forend for a flashlight has merit.

The more traditional appearance is more appealing to me, the Mossberg top tang safety is superior to cross=bolt on newer lever guns, however the traditional use of the half cock was sufficient IMHO.

http://www.mossberg.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/41020-catalog.jpg

:good:

I actually agree with the stock thing… If I were to get one I would probably find a more traditional replacement stock. I really like the other features though. For a 30-30 the sights were really good. The traditional sliding blade sights are not good in the woods… all the bear hunters use tape to keep them from getting snagged.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

There are many after market accessories…

XS Sight Systems

Skinner Sights

Grizzly Custom Guns

Levergun Leather Works

Wild West Guns

Just a few examples.

Anonymous
                            Inactive

IMO if someone wants a “tactical” lever-action it needs to take a 30-round magazine lol.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

This is just a random video on bullet casting, there are many methods and this is just meant to be a intro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3ZpVSzYZTA

Everyone serious about longterm survival should be able to do this.

dnb
                                Participant

Ahh, the 30-30, aka the California rider.

Good info. That reloader is neat. Be a good project. Waiting for an ammo sale for 10 bucks a box to stock up. Sucks one can’t find decent bullets for cheap anymore. May as well just buy ammo when on sale.

I did the ram line stock, Wild West trigger, see thru scope mounts for irons with 2-7 scope. Still trying to attach a light on it. Got a spare extractor and ejector. Thinking about Teflon moly coating for parts and some type of bore protection…

Note, my 30-30 will not cycle ppu ammo. I think the brass is different sizes. It shoots it, but extraction is iffy. Federal shoots the best groups for mine out of the joe blow ammo, 150 or 170 gr.

dnb
                                  Participant

This would be great for 300 savages as well. Got 2 savages from early 1900s that I’d like to get going. Note, still have ammo from the 40s and 50s. Last time we shot them, the ammo still worked good enough to kill a jack rabbit. No special storage, just indoors in a drawer.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Still putting food on my table. ;-)

Wysharpshooter79
                                      Participant

Just saw this thread, I have the Glenfield model similar to yours in 30-30. These models have the “micro groove” rifling so if you cast your own, you might need to size your bullets close to .002″ above bore diameter in order to get better accuracy and prevent leading. I have the 170 gr RNFP mould for this gun plus a 30 cal gas check maker. I like lever actions with a good single action revolver to accompany it. :good:

riflemaniv
                                        Participant

I don’t have a 30-30 but I cut my teeth with a Marlin lever gun in 35 Rem. I still love to carry it on still hunts or drives.

Sitting Duck
                                          Participant

Love the Lee Loader. I don’t have a 30-30 anymore but whack (literally with a hammer!) Out some 30-30; cast over TrailBoss loads for a friend.

There’s a 358Win BLR I really would like to spend some time with. If someone would just design a way for it to take AR10 mags….

Jeff Cooper refered to the lever gun as a legal “Brooklyn special”.

Wysharpshooter79
                                            Participant

For whoever is interested:

http://castpics.net/dpl/

http://www.lasc.us/

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/

All of the above are excellent references for bullet casting. Hope this helps someone out there. :good:

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Wysharpshooter79 put out some good info and links.

I like the 30-30 because it’s one of the most commonly found calibers and as noted previously it’s been around so long there is a roll your own solution for almost anything.

Plenty of good caliber choices available for lever guns.

A pistol caliber lever gun combined with a matching caliber handgun is a classic combo suitable for survival, defense, or where avoiding military look.

Viewing 20 reply threads
                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.