1/11/2020 Drive/Walk around Richmond VA Lobby Day Ground Zero

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Current Affairs & Topical News Pieces 1/11/2020 Drive/Walk around Richmond VA Lobby Day Ground Zero

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Spencer
      Participant

Yesterday, Fabio and I met-up then worked our way downtown to the Capitol. All in all we probably spent about an hour driving around and close to that walking the actual Capitol grounds and surrounding areas.

We were struck by the seeming absolute lack of any official type of preparation for the upcoming Lobby Day. There were no new street barriers that we could see, all the way into the Capitol grounds driving down Broad Street slowly and observing all the side streets for at least 10 blocks.

There was no evidence of any of the notorious protest groups such as Antifa and BLM present. I had seen many “online/YouTube” reports of on-site activities of all the protest groups, but my in-person observation cannot confirm those reports; for me, the opposite was true. We did run into several people from out of town and engaged them in conversation. They were there for various lobbying functions, but all peaceful and friendly. Kudos to Fabio for being able to “interview” people without their knowing that they’re being interviewed… ;-)

There was a lot of construction going on, but since my wife does a regular Farmer’s Market on the square that lasts from around May-October, I can confirm that the construction has been ongoing and is not something new. However, it is possible that the activity and noise could be used to cover activities that are related to the upcoming day, but there’s no way to know that.

BTW: There is major construction going on at the General Assembly Building, the actual lobbying will be held at the Pocahontas building and the VCDL rally will be on the steps of that building.

I know a lot can change in 10 days, but for all current appearances, you couldn’t have found a more relaxed atmosphere in any big city that I’ve ever been to, and I’ve been to and lived in several. Of course, I’ve read every post on this forum and absorbed all the information I can find online about the event and other events like it. I appreciate all the time and effort that folks have put into providing as much information and analysis as possible. The resources available on this forum are nothing short of amazing. I know it will be “anything can happen” day. I’ll go in prepared for the worst but hoping for the best and we’ll just see what happens.

DCH 10/2019
        H.E.A.T. 1 12/2019

Max
        Keymaster

A review of the IG post ‘biting the bullet’ by ‘trijiconch’ (trijiconfuciousv5) gives a number of locations including hotels and bars for the night before and after, and a staging point for the armed march at 1314 E Grace Street in a field next to the VDOT building.

trailman
          Participant

I’ll point out that here in Frederick when they do the “In the streets festival” and the 4th of July thing at the Park. EVERYTHING shows up the day before, stages, pre-positioned barriers that just need to be moved into place. And its gone the day after. I would surmise that the City will have the same contingencies in a file somewhere since it is the Capitol, they get protests (maybe not this big) and they corral them for “public Safety”. Checking the layout of the land is cool but unless you have an inside at City Hall or they publish the closures you might not know what would happen.

A good idea would be to do some simple social engineering, call City Hall, this is Mike and Booby Sue from Tallahachee and your coming into town on a long holiday weekend, You heard there is going to be a big rally, already have the reservations at Motel Six, they left the light on you know. Can you tell me what streets are going to be blocked off? Can we get a map please. Ty Junior and Nicky are all excited and we don’t want to disappoint them you know. :whistle:

Attachments:
            You must be logged in to view attached files.
            Spencer
            Participant

A review of the IG post ‘biting the bullet’ by ‘trijiconch’ (trijiconfuciousv5) gives a number of locations including hotels and bars for the night before and after, and a staging point for the armed march at 1314 E Grace Street in a field next to the VDOT building.

Thanks Max, I’ll read that article and hopefully be able to steer clear of the armed march and other hot spots.

Trailman – Good stuff. I probably can’t pull off the “I’m an out of towner” thing though when they see my (804) area code calling in. Still, don’t see why we shouldn’t be able to get a road closure report. We’ll be on foot,(hiking it in with multiple route plans), so we should be flexible enough to be OK for ingress and egress.

BTW: I’ve played many gigs in downtown Frederick back in the nineties and played the park once for 4th of July. Fun times.

DCH 10/2019
              H.E.A.T. 1 12/2019

dave37
              Participant

Burner phone, homie. I wouldn’t even take my real phone with me on the day.

I probably can’t pull off the “I’m an out of towner” thing though when they see my (804) area code calling in.

• This reply was modified 1 week ago by dave37.

HEAT 1 2017
                Intro to CQB 2017
                Texas HEAT 2 2018
                Operation TeaSinker 2019
                Combat Leader Course 2019
                Team Coyote
                Team Rekkr
                Team Cowbell

Spencer
                Participant

Burner phone, homie. I wouldn’t even take my real phone with me on the day.

Gotcha, makes sense. I was talking about the advance call that Trailman had suggested to get some intel on road closings and such, but I take your point about not having a device with me that can be confiscated on Lobby Day.

DCH 10/2019
                  H.E.A.T. 1 12/2019

wheelsee
                  Participant

Not confiscated (you’re already late in the game). Rather your phone pinging a tower which lets everyone KNOW you were THERE.

Burners can still be tracked but never have it near your real phone (association??). Use burners that you can take the battery out of, pay cash (no paper trail), wear a cap/hat and “smile” (tends to mess up facial recognition, at least here) when buying. Keep the battery out until ready to use. Make sure no family/friends are with you with their phones when you power up.

Spencer
                    Participant

Not confiscated (you’re already late in the game). Rather your phone pinging a tower which lets everyone KNOW you were THERE.

Thanks for the tips, I hear you. I understand a little about mobile-tech since I used to do it for a living. I still do tech for a living, but haven’t kept up with the latest mobile stuff for the last few years. I have never attended any event like this in the past out of the general fear of being associated with some group and losing my livelihood as a result, but I’m done with that.

If I can’t peacefully go to a public place in America to voice my support of the United States Constitution without fear of reprisal, then where have we gotten to?

DCH 10/2019
                      H.E.A.T. 1 12/2019

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.