The Great Misunderstanding

Why you need the Combat Patrol Class
August 26, 2016
Texas Classes February / March 2017
August 29, 2016

forum-logo-small

Some of you will have noticed that the MVT Forum has gone to  $25 per year subscription service. Many have not. I have recently been going through the user list, deleting spam profiles, and sending emails out to those who were previously members but who have not yet signed up. It leads to some interesting responses, from many who were simply not aware now signing up, to outright hostility.

Much of this is to do a with lack of understanding about what the MVT Forum is, or has become, and why there would be value in paying the whopping sum of $25 per year to be part of it. Part of the reason for the subscription is to reduce numbers to those who are serious, who are willing to be invested in the forum, not just internet tourists looking for free stuff. I know that MVT has given out a huge amount of free tactical wisdom and information over the last probably four years, most of which is not replicated elsewhere on the internet. That information has value, and the forum has running costs, hence the subscription. If you can’t see the value in what we do, then I really don’t want you to be a part of it anyway.

The MVT Forum itself has changed, evolved, and will continue to do so. If you have not seen it, you may not realize the following:

1) The MVT Forum is now the repository for all the MVT articles. The blog is no longer the priority, and the serious tactical articles have been moved to the forum. I publish articles on the forum that do not go up on the blog, and thus you don’t see them unless you are a member. The forum has in effect become the focus of the MVT online presence.

2) ‘Forum’ is perhaps not the best term for what the MVT Forum has become, and the future vision for it. Yes, there are many forums on the internet, and the MVT Forum retains the function of being a place for chat and communication. But it is also a site for online learning, a repository for a huge number of educational articles, and can be understood perhaps more as a distance learning ‘blackboard.’ As we go forward, we are developing tactical and information/ intelligence training products that are accessible on the forum.

3) We have a number of subject matter experts, in addition to the MVT cadre, who post and will answer questions on the forum. We have intelligence professionals, communications professionals, the MVT Gear design team and any number of others.

4) The MVT Forum has always maintained a rational and mature environment with none of the insane bickering that is seen elsewhere on the internet. It is a grown up place for good productive discussion. Now that it has become a subscription service, this will help to maintain that.

5) We have begun to develop various aspects of the professional advice and knowledge available on the forum. From sensible advice about gear, through to ‘ask the Commsprepper’ we have a lot of value to add. I have restarted the series of tactical planning exercises that you can do online at home, and we have a team of senior intelligence professionals who are developing online training in critical thinking and information/Intel analysis. Training exercises are on the way in that field. The objective here is not to simply roll out military Intel doctrine, but to do the same with Intel analysis that MVT has done with tactical training i.e. make it accessible, understandable and implementable by the armed citizen in an informal environment.

6) As an example of the changes, I just yesterday started the ‘Combat Media’ sub-forum, which is a new thing, where I have started to post useful combat footage with tactical analysis so that lessons can be learned. Last night I was analyzing some combat footage from Syria with a grenade duel and a stalled infantry assault. This is also a place where members can post footage that they have found in order to ask questions or seek clarification on what they can observe.

Thus the MVT Forum has become so much more than a chat space. It was never my focus before, I always focused on the blog, and originally the intent of the forum was to allow discussion without the need for my intervention to approve comments. That, basically, was it, it was simply designed to take a task off my plate. Now, it has become the focus of the MVT online presence, and a vehicle for online / distance learning. We have retained our core membership since the switch to subscription, and numbers are steadily growing. You won’t find your ‘free chicken’ types on the MVT Forum.

This change has caused an unseemly amount of anger among a certain sub-set. They appear to on the one hand resent the idea that now, after four years of free stuff, they are being asked to pay a nominal fee in return for a lot of value. On the other, they don’t seem to understand that the Forum is not the same animal that they may have been used to, and it is certainly not ‘just another’ forum on the internet.

MVT is about quality, and serious tactical training. The move to a subscription forum at a very small nominal fee is doing a very good job of maintaining that environment. If you want to be a part of the team, please consider joining.

Thanks.

forum-logo-small

1. Val Kyrie says:

These are just growing pains. Haters gonna hate but what you are building will be appreciated by all of the non-haters who can see the bigger picture.

2. StarvinLarry says:

Just my two cents…
    I have no problem with you going to subscription,what you post has way more than a $25.00 value.
    (yeah,I know,I haven’t got around to coughing up the $$$ yet-had some major home repairs to tend to.)
    I’ll gladly pay the $25.00 subscription fee,it’s an investment,and return on that investment is knowledge I can’t get anywhere else.
    Seems logical to me that is how people should look at the subscription.
    Those who want free shit aren’t serious anyhow,other than a very,very few who truly can not afford the $25.00.
    Max is providing a hell of a value for that $25.00,if people would just stop and think about it.
    How many who want the info for free put out free info about their areas of expertise?
    That question should answer itself for most people.
    Ignore the whiners who want free info-keep doing what you’re doing-those of us who are serious see the value.

3. mark says:

Its a damn good value. The SMEs are polite and willing to answer well thought out questions is great, especially for those of us who havent scraped up enough to attend yet. However the biggest thing im looking foward to is the mock mission planning scenarios. Where else can you do that properly and get real feedback from experts?

4. Weber says:

Max,

I think you’ve given more than enough justification to charge to be a forum member. In fact, you were charging double or triple I would think nothing of it. Maybe that’s because I’ve been to the VTC twice now and each time my eyes were opened during training. I didn’t know what I didn’t know. With that being said, after training with you, I can truly appreciate the value of this forum at the small cost of $25. Even a weekend of training is a huge value.

I think what the “internet should be free” crowd are missing is the value in the forum is directly related to the value in training under your guidance. But of course, these are also the same people that are too lazy to get off their asses and do any kind of real training. One more thing for anyone complaining about $25 to join; Do people really not realize that hosting a forum or website is not free? Running a forum isn’t a tax-payer supported .gov program. It actually costs real money to operate.

If you have taken any classes at the VTC, you immediately realize the value in the forum and how insignificant the cost of $25 is to join. In my opinion, the forum is a great follow up tool/resource to any classes taken at the VTC. The forum helps you begin to realize what you just did for three or four days and assists in letting the training sink in. Treat this forum as an extension of your training with Max and the Cadre. But if you are unwilling to pay $25 for the knowledge base here, then you probably aren’t serious about protecting yourself or your tribe during difficult times anyway.

5. wheelsee says:

Max,

While you certainly don’t need my approval, I do appreciate your expertise and willingness to engage in conversation.

To those who haven’t joined, I must ask why not? For the cost of a hamburger once a quarter, you have access to a variety of topics and, more importantly IMHO, people who have “been there, done that.”

While I have limited experience from the 90’s, the practice of medicine changes over time, so does life and its other activities/concepts. I appreciate the willingness for forum members to chime in to give well-thought-out reasons for X. Whether it be from an AO in AK or FL, seasoned people give rational answers, as well as pros/cons. Quite a few are gifted in their prose abilities.

However, to those who are disgruntled, review WHY you are disgruntled. The cost? – give up 1 hamburger/fries per quarter. The thought of having to pay something? – the worth of cumulative knowledge, wisdom, and experience found here is, IMHO, much more than $25 annually (yes, I’d willingly pay more, quite a bit actually). Just like to complain? – don’t know how to answer that one except you must be a pretty miserable person in general.

6. Frostysilverback says:

The “free chicken” was great. Not because it was free, but because it is useful information. If something is useful to you, you should be willing to pay for it. I think $25 is a bargain, so I paid and have not been disappointed. End of story.

7. Wes says:

Max, you’ve done me a huge favor. When the forum was free, I hardly ever checked it. Now, I check it multiple times per day and I’m learning a lot. I’m a winner!!!

The people getting pissed off about it…well, that’s analogous to taking away EBT cards. Those folks are infantile. To hell with them.

Thank you!

8. Winston Smith says:

Best of luck to you.
    Too many have sought solely to make money from the patriot community just for their own benefit. I don’t need to name the most recent obvious individual(s), I think.

9. Mike says:

good for you and good luck.
    would you consider making the info available on disk or other like format for purchase I would go for that just like your books that are getting a little tattered from rereading.
    Mike