Are you a Shepherd? A Protector?

MVT CADRE Sends: The Critical Question of Accountability by Lee
September 19, 2015
VIDEO : MVT Range Safety Brief: Part 1
September 21, 2015

12shepherd_in_storm

I’m currently up at site running a Combat Patrol Class. I have been thinking about, and discussing, a term to use in place of prepper / survivalist. Whether it catches on or not, I will use it in my writings to describe what I mean.

What do I mean?

I do not think the term ‘prepper’ adequately describes the responsible, tactically trained, prepared citizen. I also do not like ‘survivalist’ because I feel it is a tainted term bringing to mind crazies in bunkers, rightly or wrongly.

In the vast majority of cases, a prepper is an untrained citizen, in denial of the true threats likely to be faced in a collapse or WROL (Without Rule of Law) situation. They are in many cases nothing more than unprepared hoarders of stored food, with some firearms in a safe, and a list of lists. They understand to a certain extent that we face uncertain times, but normalcy bias prevents them from taking the necessary security steps to get tactically trained. They refuse to do physical training (PT) because they are at heart lazy, and will attempt to throw money at the prepping problem. They are really just fearful sheeple with a little more in the way of supplies than the masses. They do not understand the fundamental badness / evil they will face in a WROL situation. They lack life experience and imagination.

I cannot do anything about that. I cannot wake them up. You can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make it drink. I am interested in those who will get up and get training in order to increase their families’ survival chances. Those are the MVT Alumni, and those who train effectively elsewhere.

“Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn’t even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

Heraclitus

It is the nine that I am interested in. The rest are just sheep of varying degree. The nine are the tactically trained, responsible, armed citizens. Are you one of those nine?

So, to describe those citizens, I have been looking for a word. I am currently evenly split between Shepherd and Protector.

Given that I am thoroughly sick of the overuse of the Grossman sheepdog/wolf metaphor, Shepherd may be appropriate, because at the end of the day, the Shepherd is in charge of the sheepdogs, and if the sheepdog attacks the flock, the Shepherd will put it down. Too many of the so called sheepdogs are in fact wolves in sheepdogs clothing, and any ‘law enforcement officer’ who identifies as a warrior, is also in the wrong game/wrong mindset, and is in fact a wolf. I know I digress, but I don’t want ‘warrior cops’ and ‘law enforcement‘ I want peace officers who will truly protect and serve. Because, as Jefferson said:

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add ‘within the limits of the law’ because law is often but the tyrant’s will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Jefferson

But the term is not in reference to police. It is in reference to any responsible, armed and trained citizen, who is prepared for uncertain times ahead. Tactically trained ‘preppers’ if you will. That also includes police and military who are of the right mindset.

Comment and let me know which is best. Shepherd or Protector.

Are you the Shepherd of your family? Are you a Protector of your family?

Viking Shepherd

1. Chris says:

I prefer the term shepherd over protecor. As a shepherd, you are a protector as well as many other things, such as leaders. This term covers many of the things that MVT Alumni possess, prepared to take on anything/anyone that is to harm his/her “flock”.

2. JeffSags says:

After reading the title of the article I initially went “Oh not this again.” I was already thinking sheepdog.

But your use of the word Shepherd makes excellent sense!

3. Eric says:

Shepard is a much more powerful and encompassing word. I am the shepard of my family (or at least a hella attempt). This includes protection, but also guidance over the journey. Protection is just one aspect of what a shepherd provides to the flock; and God willing, a small one.

4. Doc says:

Shepherd…
    Iron fist in velvet glove

5. Stinger says:

I like Shepherd also. I think it best encompasses the role and responsibility a man should have in his family.

6. Leatherneck556 says:

Max,

As I recently told you, I am about to start a blog of my own, and it is interesting that you bring this up because I was also thinking about this very topic. You basically already read my mind with bringing up the word Protector. I am not a big fan of shepherd as a use for your role in society in general; I see a shepherd as being like the boss. I don’t want to be the boss of my fellow citizens, just a protector and a guide to anyone else who wants to walk my same path. Are you all familiar with why Grossman chose not to use shepherd (as opposed to sheepdog)? It was because in his analogy, the Shepherd represented God; one who stood apart from the sheep, wolves, and sheepdogs and truly was sovereign over them. That’s not me.

Religious overtones aside (I know not everybody reading this is a Christian), I still just think that shepherd brings about connotations of the being the guy in charge. Am I the shepherd of my family? Certainly. The shepherd of a group of people who have put me in charge of the group? Yes. But I don’t view myself as the shepherd of society in general.

These are just my thoughts, I plan to elaborate on this very topic more in a future blog post when my site is up and running.

7. swampstalker says:

How about a term that has universal meaning and says it all? MAN.

8. PapaGrande' 310 says:

I like shepherd. Protector to me could be more of a bodyguard, where as a shepherd has more personal interest in those under his care.

Half way through your book right now! Great stuff Max!!

9. ChocolateMilk says:

Almost finished reading through Contact! I like the Shepard concept as you put it out there.

10. Bergmann says:

Survivalist. I’m a survivalist. There’s no other way to put it. Ive earned it and I’m quite comfortable with it. No way I will spend one second worrying about what the dumbed down masses think of the name/title/label. I see no point in bowing to all the social swells to make anyone feel better about me.

Bergmann

11. Robert says:

I don’t much like either one. 😉

I think Guardian or Defender are both better and evoke stronger images.

Shepherd seems less applicable as a label to a group of such people. And Protector doesn’t seem to carry much moral weight with it; just more a description of strength and job.

Just my $0.02

12. Palmetto says:

Food for thought: consider modifying “protector” into “protectorate”.

Protectorate is more of an official office, rank or position. Like Cromwell was Lord Protectorate.

I like the idea of a man being the protectorate of his home and family. Also a group of such men could be the protectorates of their community of neighborhood.

Protectorate invokes force of arms more so than shepherd. At least to me.

13. Hondo says:

“Flock Guard Dog” (or Protector).

I fully agree with your comment: “Too many of the so called sheepdogs are in fact wolves in sheepdogs clothing, and any ‘law enforcement officer’ who identifies as a warrior, is also in the wrong game/wrong mindset, and is in fact a wolf. I know I digress, but I don’t want ‘warrior cops’ and ‘law enforcement‘ I want peace officers who will truly protect and serve.” And I say this as a former Marine (Warrior) and an almost 30 years service police officer career retiree (Flock Protector Dog).

But Wolves in Sheepdog clothing (or Flock Guard Dog clothing) are no more Sheepdogs or Flock Guard Dogs than Sheep in Wolves clothing are in fact Wolves.

Those pretenders are Wolves and always have been – and it is our obligation to insure to the best that we can that they are IDENTIFIED and REMOVED from any authoritative position. Instead of the cloying, sickness of the knee-jerk reaction of constantly supporting the police whether right or wrong! All that does is to entice more and more Wolves that police work is THE place to be to “fleece the flock”.

If one is unable to do that (letters to the editor, attending council meetings, attending / organizing protests and demonstrations, running petition drives), then grasp that you are – despite whatever tactical training / weaponry training that you have put yourself through, that you are either one of the ten or one of the 80.

Because (and as a whistleblower eventually forced out – but never silenced, even to this day) the police are NOT going “to police themselves”.

And when the SHTF, if you don’t have the integrity, the moral code, the guts to stand up against the Wolves currently (and repeatedly) fleecing and maiming the flock, you are NOT going to stand to and man the walls when things get beyond peaceful protest and civil disobedience and bullets are flying.