MVT Rifleman Challenge: 27-29 March: Initial Report

Student Review: 6 Day Combined Class Sep 27 – Oct 03 2014: Jen (Aka Facebook)
March 26, 2015
New Class Structure: Rifle Skills/Combat Rifle
March 30, 2015

I am just back from the inaugural MVT Rifleman Challenge this past weekend.

There were 11 competitors. Everyone worked really hard and it was a great Challenge.

7 were successful with the  Rifleman Patch.

rifleman patch single

Above: Riflemen. L to R: Jim, Chris, Rob, Hunter, (Max), Jon, Steve, Duane.

2 of those 7 also achieved the Vanguard Patch.

Vanguard Patch

Above: Vanguard. L to R: Hunter, (Max), Jon.

Jon won the competition overall, also winning the 2-Miler with a course record of 17:56 at 51 years of age! Hunter came second, and Chris was third.

The main events that made up the individual scoring were: 2-Miler, Qualification Shoot, Navigation Exercise (NAVEX). Other events were pass/fail/team building. All events had an elements of instruction prior to testing, and overall it was a training weekend with some challenging testing thrown in.

PT and navigation were the main areas that competitors had problems with. MVT offers Tactical Fitness Training Plans which several of the competitors were able to take advantage of and which made huge improvements to their fitness.

We are considering adding an optional Navigation Training day on the Thursday prior to the event. Navigation Post HERE.

The event received sponsorship from JRH Enterprises and UW Gear. Multiple prizes were awarded, including a $200 gift certificate for each competitor and several UW Gear chest rigs.

UW Gear

Attendance at Combat Team Tactics (CTT)  is going to be added as a pre-requisite to attendance at the Challenge. All the competitors were MVT Alumni and it would have been difficult to run the live offensive and break contact drills on the ranges with random untrained attendees.

Above: Dinner at the Main Street Grill

Above: Lee and Max at the NAVEX EXCON.

Above: Lee and Max instruct high threat CQB.

Above: Lee and Max instruct high threat CQB.

Break Contact

Above: Heading downrange for break contact drills.

Above: CQB

Above: CQB

Above: CQB

Above: CQB

I have GoPro video and I will edit it into a summary video of the event.

More to follow.

1. JAFO says:

I’m still disappointed that I couldn’t have been there. the knee is still swelling when training, but pushing through on a slightly slower pace for now. Glad it was a decent turnout! hope to be there for the next one!

Congratulations Max, and to all the competitors.

3. Robert says:

Congrats everyone!!!

4. BBQ'd says:

If this isn’t motivational…check you pulse.

Hats off to everyone who competed, especially to Jon…it pays to be a winner.

5. Hunter says:

Thanks Max, Lee and Fred! Appreciate all the efforts you guys went to, to make this a great weekend. Thanks Robert at JRH for the great prizes. My new Surefire Helmet light will come in handy! Thanks UW gear as well. I love my new chest rig!

6. John Lee Pettimore III says:

Too all the participants, thank you for your outstanding effort and drive during the Rifleman Challenge. The continued determination throughout the weekend by some even after a missed standard speaks volumes about your individual integrity and is a testament on the type of students to be found at Max Velocity Tactical.

As a whole I was impressed with your hard work and focus during the periods of instruction.

Great job to our inaugural team of Riflemen, two of which attained Vanguard.

See you at the next Challenge…

7. StarvinLarry says:

Great job everyone!
    7/11 is a good percentage of passing considering the difficulty of the 2 miler.
    Shows just how important PT and constant training is. It’s not like those who participated just showed up out of the blue-everyone knew what the challenge was going to consist of and they trained for it.
    Congrats to the first 7 to earn the MVT Rifleman patch,and the first two to win the Vanguard patch!

8. Tater says:

A hearty BRAVO ZULU to ALL who competed. Why am I not surprised that both Hunter & Jon received VANGUARD tabs?

9. Holly K says:

Congratulations, Max! Well-done. I know an “evolved” human being when I’m looking at one. Hardcore. Committed. No games. Doing awesome work to prepare serious folks.

YOU are a bonafide Rock Star in the Patriot Community, Max. Pure talent & a fierce intellect without the baggage of big talk & empty words. We are all better for WHO you are in the world of men, and for WHAT you do to help us prepare.

With Gratitude!

H. Kerodin

10. Wes says:

Congratulations to all, especially the Vanguard guys, Hunter and Jon! Jon killed the two-miler!!! A time of 17:56 is outstanding!!! Having absolutely gutted myself on that course back in February, I understand what an absolutely tremendous athletic feat that is, especially at 51 years of age. Jon you are truly an inspiration to me as I turn 50 this year. I will probably be 51 by the time I get up there to do the Challenge, as I have yet to complete CTT. Thank you, sir, for setting such a lofty standard. That’s exciting!!! 🙂