VIDEO: Texas Combat Team Tactics Class – Day 3

Daily Photo Log: Texas Combat Team Tactics / Mobility Class
February 19, 2015
VIDEO: Texas Class Day 4, Mobility day 1
February 21, 2015

These videos were taken on day 3 of the Combat Team Tactics / Mobility Class ongoing right now in Texas.

This was team fire and movement:

This was  the second objective of that training scenario:

Some footage of the river objective:

Break Contact Front Part 1:

Break Contact Front Part 2 – from the rally point. Yes, it’s not over a terrain feature – that was partly the point!

Break Contact Right. Yes, they are on a trail *yawn* – that’s partly the point. And it’s a training scenario:

Break Contact Left:

GoPro Version of Break Contact Right:

Mobility drills tomorrow.

Enjoy.

1. JohmLeePettimoreIII says:

“More cowbell”?! It’s official, Max has been on this side of the pond way too long.

On a serious note, excellent initial rate of fire for the group in the Contact Left video.

2. robroysimmons says:

About the gunfire sounds to initiate action, how was that accomplished?

JLPIII do the 416s work well for initial rof in a contact?

Flanking effects gunners.

• JohnLeePettimoreIII says:

If those are 416’s then they are certainly getting the job done. The piston vs. direct impingement debate is a non-starter. Both systems are combat proven.

As a rough estimate, if your max ROF gives you .15 or faster splits between shots, you and your system are plenty fast enough. What’s important is whether you can do this accurately… Only fire as fast as you can HIT.

3. Mike H says:

Thanks for posting. Interesting terrain … I’ve done some long distance shooting in Texas before. Was some of the kneeing positions due to the terrain features?(guys on the left of the first couple of clips were prone)

4. Daniel says:

“Remember: it’s on YouTube, so it’s perfectly legitimate to train your self by simply watching the video….;-)”

Nice. Can’t we instead pointlessly argue whether these were near or far ambushes?

5. Bearcreek says:

Wish I was there. It was 20 below zero here when I got up this morning.

6. idahobob says:

Muzzles down…..not at high port?

Bob
    III

?

• idahobob says:

I noticed that you were telling one man to get his muzzle down. It looked whenever they were on the move, their muzzles were down.

Not a criticism, just an observation. When I was in the “old” Army (1967-1977) we were trained to move with our weapons at port arms. It was especially helpful when fire and maneuvering, since we used the butt of the rifle to help break the fall when going to ground.

Just sayin’.

Bob
        III

Muzzle down.
          Reasons given in the safety brief.
          Active muzzle awareness.

• JohnLeePettimoreIII says:

Muzzles down is safer for fire and movement in general, and a faster method to engage a target than high ready or high port.

If you trip and fall while muzzles down, it generally ends up in the dirt. You trip and fall at high port, the muzzle ends up to your flank.

There are certain circumstances where a “high ready” is more tactically sound than muzzles down, but those situations are very narrow in scope and I’m not going to attempt to explain it here lest someone does something stupid without fully understanding the implications of it.

Looking good.

Not being a dick, but I was also wondering why always muzzle down. I was also “black boot” military and we were also taught muzzle up for maneuver in the field. I assume you were too, at one time?

I know muzzle down is the current standard for most schools, and even the military, but just wondering aloud if this is always the best way of doing it?

Again not attacking or trolling here, just wanted to sound you out on alternative techniques, if this is open to discussion.

My thought being that depending on terrain, especially heavy bush, low light, etc., running muzzle up (carefully) is easier to maneuver, (especially if you trip and need to break a fall), or when deliberately proning out/ taking a knee. The muzzle is already up, out of the way, for you to change positions. When you drop in, the muzzle follows, as you aim in, safety off, squeeze. When done shooting, safety on, stand up, muzzle up, and spin OUTBOARD of your mates.

But I realize anyone with any current square range training is going to be used to muzzle down, so I totally get why you’d carry that forward to fire and maneuver training.

• JohnLeePettimoreIII says:

Muzzles down. Why?

1) Faster method to engage a target- you will always be faster from low ready then high ready. Period. The stock is already in your shoulder pocket.

2) Situational awareness- High ready causes the rifle to physically block your vision, not a lot, but if your looking for hidden baddies in the bush it makes a huge difference.

3) Fatigue management- Patrol for 10 klicks at a time for several days in a row. Trust me, your patrolling muzzle down.

4) Flagging (safety)- Try this at home. Stand muzzle down and start to bend over. Notice how far you can go before you are no longer pointing at the ground, and actually have to worry about flagging someone. You gotta go pretty far.

Now try it muzzle up. You start muzzling people a hell of a lot quicker. It’s just simple angles.

Are there times for high ready? Yes. But people are not ready for muzzles up if they don’t know why muzzles down is preferable in most cases.

Remember, we do a hell of a lot of things better now than we did back in the “ole” days. Such as…

-Tourniquet application (holy shit were we fucked up for a loooong time on that one..)

-Basic weapon manipulation (think reloads done with the strong hand as opposed to today with the support hand)

-Strategic Corporal (Noncomms making tactical and strategic decisions and not waiting on orders, enhancing initiative)

8. Shocktroop0351 says:

Hey Max, I appreciate you sharing this. If you ever get out to the mountain West I’d love to be there.

9. Aaron says:

We discuss all the reasons for muzzle down at the classes.

10. OS11B1P says:

I’m definitely from the muzzle up crowd and would love to argue this but not on Max’s blog.
    Except for the tripping comment which is too comical to argue.

Really all?

How about we talk about some awesome training and videos?

Right?

• JohnLeePettimoreIII says:

For those of us who have trained enough to eventually meet Mr. Murphy during live fire exercises, it is not comical at all, I assure you.

11. idahobob says:

You are right. The videos ARE awesome, and the training looks very realistic and intense. I’m hoping to make it out to WV for some training from you this year.

Bob
    III

12. TC says:

The students seemed like they work on their PT. Good separation, rate of fire and RTR. They were excellent for students on their reloads under, shall I say, stress. Good job Max. Doesn’t look like their first class though. If it is, great job.

13. Wes says:

Hey Max, I’ve been reading on your site periodically for a while now, and subscribed to your YouTube. I don’t think I’ve ever commented before, but these videos were cool man. I live in Texas wish I could have made this class, but wasn’t aware of it. Maybe next round! How did you like the texas terrain?