‘The 2-Miler’

III RIFLEMAN Qualification Weekend
November 5, 2014
Gratuitous PT Motivational Video
November 5, 2014

Predictably, the main test that caught peoples attention from the post ‘III Rifleman Combat Task Proficiency‘ was the PT Test: ‘The 2-Miler.’

There are many reasons for this:

1) A desire to make the test ‘right.’

2) A knowledge that personal standards are probably not up to it right now.

3) A need for an attitude adjustment – this is not a hike, or anything else you have done. It is a ‘2-Miler.’

The ‘2-Miler’ is probably the best single test of fitness and aptitude for infantry work. If you can’t dig deep on a 2-Miler, why would you think you can be in a III Rifleman Squad? It requires intestinal fortitude. It is not really THAT HARD – it’s just you have probably never trained like that before.

What is the 2-Miler?

It is a 2 mile run with a 30lb ruck and rifle. It is done at best effort. It is a ball buster and a test – that is the point. The way you do it is with an ‘airborne shuffle.’ You can actually afford to speed walk up any inclines, but you need to keep an airborne shuffle going. It is done on  flat or preferably gently rolling terrain, not steep, and should be conducted on roads or decent trails. Packed dirt road or similar. Not cross country or on steep hills.

The 2-Miler simulates a rapid reinforcement of friendly troops in contact. You have to get there, and get there fast. It simulates carrying a rifle and fighting load across the ground.

I am open to adjusting the times suggested in the original post. We need to beta test this in order to make it a challenge but not unattainable. But it WILL need training for. That is the point.

You see, not everyone will be a III Rifleman. It is not for everyone. Those guys are supposed to be the tip of the spear. Don’t forget it takes about 9 loggies to support one infantryman. There is plenty of space there for others to fight, and others to support. The III Riflemen are intended to be the real life incarnation of the capable fighters as exemplified in ‘Patriot Dawn: The Resistance Rises.’ Read it? if not, why not? It’s a novel, but a teaching tool. There are even examples in that novel, even a specific one of such a reinforcement taking place. In the book there were guys and gals in the Resistance Company doing unconventional warfare/light infantry work (the III Riflemen if you like), then there were others doing guarding work (the home guard, if you like), and then there was the support group – the auxiliary.

Patriot Dawn: The Resistance Rises

We are currently developing all the tasks and standards as laid out in the original post. The PT Test also needs to be beta tested and developed also. However, I have this idea right now, given that the PT test is people’s biggest obstacle, yet it cannot be compromised on if effective III Rifleman are to be produced:

Three Tiers of initial qualification badges, based on the PT Test alone (exact titles up for debate):

1) III Rifleman: completes the PT Test in the target time, completes the other tasks up to standard.  For example, perhaps the 2-Miler cut off time for Rifleman is 24 minutes.

2) III Reserve: completes the PT Test in the secondary time, completes the other tasks up to standard. For example, perhaps the 2-Miler cut off time for Reserves is 30 minutes.

3) III Support: passes the marksmanship qualification. Does not attempt the 2-miler due to physical inability or other health reason.

There will also be some sort of PT award for those who do the 2-Miler in less than 18 minutes.

I had talked about doing some sort of competition – a ruck & shoot biathlon – but I think a qualification weekend such as this would take the place of that. It would not just be about passing the minimum, but about competing with others for Best Rifleman.

There was a question about how we could fit all the training for all the tasks into one 3 day weekend. We won’t. simple. This has to be trained back with your team. The actual qualification weekends will be run like an expert infantry badge. There will be a mix of testing, instruction and assessment.

Because this is a III badge, it will be adjudicated by III approved trainers. You can train wherever you want, but you will need to attend a qualification weekend with a recognized III trainer in order to qualify for the patches. You could have someone come to you if you wanted, and get assessed on your home turf. That is how we maintain standards.

More to come as this is developed. Gratuitous PT Motivational video here.

1. Mervo says:

I worry less about this than I do about land nav. Especially if the land nav is at night, Robin Sage style.

2. Aaron says:

Maybe I’ll throw on my ruck and see what 2 miles comes in at. I’m curious cuz this isn’t like any standard test we typically do.

It’s usually distance with a ruck or speed without. Rarely speed with a ruck. Hummmm lets find out!

3. StarvinLarry says:

I’m going to give it my best shot-and see how I do.
    When things get sporty,I would be better utilized in an aux position anyhow-but I’m stubborn as hell,and I’m going to give it all I’ve got plus to make the 2 miles in 18 minutes.
    I can’t run fast,but I can sure as hell walk real fast.
    I look at it as a goal to achieve.

Can I talk you out of it?

Looking up sports therapists…

• StarvinLarry says:

I did it-twice.
        I’m a long,long ways from 18 minutes though.
        Posted times on the III Rifleman post
        Well…that was interesting-nowhere near as close as I thought I would be.

Tried twice,first time right after breakfast at 7am,just got back from attempt #2-at about 10:00-10:15 was done in the rain both times.
        Attempt #1 was 28 min 33 sec.
        Attempt#2 was 27 min 41 sec.

I’m sure I can get my time down. I carry that much weight in my hunting pack during winter months-it’s not the weight.

I used hunting,carrying a pack as my physical therapy after all the surgeries I had done on my leg. My Dr said as long as I was getting out and doing exercise of some type to re-gain muscle strength in my legs-he didn’t care how I did it-just that I got enough exercise. That was after the physical therapy was over that I started the hunting as exercise thing.

I know I’ll be sore as hell from this morning,going hunting on Sat. the hike in may be a bit painful after today.

I’ll keep trying at least once a week.
        I can see that I need to increase my leg exercises in the meantime.

4. OldeEnglishCider says:

Having a test based on a 2 mile speed march is great for assessing cardiovascular fitness. Should there also be a part of the test on core strength, which I found was always the harder bit to train for. e.g. 40 sit-ups in 1 minute, 30 press-ups, 4(?) pull-ups.

I think a set of those 4 tests would tell you everything about someone’s overall fitness. These are what I use for measuring my progress nowadays, with pull-ups being the hardest nut to crack.

Tell me why? I don’t care how many pull ups and sit ups you can do. I care that you can move yourself across the ground with a fighting load and engage the enemy.

• Stinger says:

The only place I can see things like sit-ups, pushups, and pull-ups being useful in something like this is training for carrying a casualty. That’s hard work and you need some beef on your upper body to get that done.

• MJ says:

The 2miler is an important test, movement at a decent speed really matters. The trouble is that all movement isn’t with your legs, steep terrain, walls, brush falls, shattered buildings, etc. require upper body strength. The pull ups address that. Core strength matters in manipulating your environment, tearing through walls , doors, etc. Whole body fitness matters.

What is this? Did I ever say it didn’t? The point is to design a test that best encompasses what is required. Do your pull ups, whatever. People need to stop getting stuck in the weeds. The 2-miler is a test for aptitude and heart. It’s not your whole fitness program.

• Leatherneck556 says:

Get out and try this. After having done it, I can tell you that it is more than just cardio. It truly is a total body test. Aerobic conditioning, some degree of anaerobic conditioning (it is hard to breathe enough to make it comfortable), and strength required to move extra weight quickly. I’m not crushed today, but I can tell I worked yesterday.

• OldeEnglishCider says:

I intend to. I have done quite a few of these style runs over 4 & 6 miles (10 min mile pace with kit), but not for a long time. I remember well being a train wreck at the end. Nowadays I can run (quite slowly) but for a long time but I don’t consider myself all round fit. For example, I don’t have the all round fitness or upper body strength to enable me to say, carry my daughter for very long if the need was there, or pick up a casualty unaided.

• Fred says:

Olde: That reminds me of the USMC PFT which I also like, feel its well rounded and would have preferred (and i know I can pass it).

But I trust Max’s judgement and experience implicitly and so will attempt this event ……..and with these modded times passing is likely if you are in good shape.

• OldeEnglishCider says:

@Fred – my suggestions were based on RM fitness test, so no surprise it looks familiar to you.

5. Leatherneck556 says:

When I run this again in two weeks, I will pick a new course using your guidance on terrain. I have a good gravel road that would work well for this.

6. B-Dog says:

I think that sometimes people forget that auxiliary units will need to be combat effective, even if they never end up in combat.

Maybe like me, you are not tip of the spear material (even though I could complete the ‘2-Miler’ in 18 minutes in my mid-40’s), but might be called on to defend an outpost or logistics convoy. Maybe you are a medic/nurse and could come under fire. Some people are electronic geeks who could be operating a remote listening post but end up in “contact,” requiring fighting skills to get off the X.

I believe that even auxiliary units need to be in the best possible fitness given any limitations, and have a basic understanding of small unit tactics along with the requisite marksmanship. Be proud of your position and take pride in it. Also understand that just because you are not a front line combatant that you may suddenly find yourself as one.

Don’t fear the training requirements; fear the enemy who trained harder than you did.

• FormerSapper says:

It’s all about context. For example you’d want your combat engineering section to be reasonably healthy and fit (even if they do most of their traveling in vehicles) but the 6 guys in a SIGINT cell operating radio gear, computers and antennae in a basement not so much. Just my opinion.

• B-Dog says:

But I also would not want to lose 1-6 guys from my SIGINT cell for the simple fact that they were out of shape and/or were unable to run a hasty break contact drill when the enemy came knocking.

“I’m really sorry Jasmin, but David is dead.”
        “WHAT? NO! NO! NO!”
        (awkward silence)
        (sobbing)”What hap…how did he…?”
        “Well, it seems the enemy located our supply depot and overran us. We did the best we could to hold them off and allow the auxiliary teams time to escape. But, as you know David was not in the best of shape, nor did he train regularly.” Following short pause, he continued, “and honestly, every one else ran faster than he did.”

7. Baldrick says:

I am going to try my hand at this today. I have a powercut in my subdivision that has a nice gravel/sand road. No rifle for me though…but I will run the 30 lb pack. I’ll post results tonight.

8. Curtis says:

Try this. I go to the college track. 40lbs ruck, force march one loop, shuffle one loop, back and forth. Fortunately, there is a very steep incline from the track to the main campus about a football field and half length. Every other loop I force march that incline. If you have a stadium, you can use the steps and force march them.

If you are not a runner, you can’t just jump into this. Baby steps. You have to build up to it. High school cross country runner. And don’t concentrate on the wall, concentrate on the destination. The destinations is all that matters. When it starts to hurt, don’t stop. Push it a little further. Work your way up.

As for upper body strength, you know there will be walls to put yourself over in your full load.

9. Jay says:

Come on people.. no whining.. what is the worse thing that could happen? You don’t make it the first time so you go home and train some more then pass it the second time. The worse thing that can happen is that you are winded and sore and don’t make it on time. Big Deal! Suck it up and train.

10. Nonconformist says:

Two miler results- First attempt. Age 59,5’9″ 162 lbs. I substituted my hickory staff/dog sedater for the rifle along w/28 lb ruck. Keeping a steady fast walking pace-29 minutes.

11. Alex says:

I’m taking this as a goal , not ” today’s test.”

I’ve recently started a two mile morning walk , mostly to get my self out of the house pre 6am. Now I have a defined challenge to achieve.

PT is a process , training is ongoing , if you aren’t happy with today’s result them make changes to improve it.

If I am told to ” do more PT.” I might screw around in an unfocused grabasstic manor for a while and then rest on my nonexistent achievement. But if I have a clear goal I can make a plan , with sub goals within it , and achieve something.

Oh , and my goal is 18 minutes , not the 21 Max affords old people like me.

12. BBQ'd says:

Well at 57, after 3 surgeries, and being honest this might be a bit above my ability…BUT…I’ll bust my ass giving it a shot.

Best Wishes to all who do!

13. Fvall says:

I think it is a great test. Did it today
    I am 66. 2 miles with Rifle, 30# Ruck
    20 min 48 sec. It was tougher than I thought. Thanks.

14. D Close says:

Ran it today. Result: Fail
    age 45, 23:14
    used two 5lbs dumbbells for rifle.
    Good dirt trail
    It’s hard. need to work on airborne shuffle. The rifle load is an added and necessary feature. It isn’t enough to die at the finish either. You need to be ready to fight.
    I will be working on this weekly.
    Thanks for the motivator Max, may I have another?! (Just joking on that 😉

15. Baldrick says:

Just coming in…I didn’t do a rifle since I’m in a subdivision running on a powercut, but I did have a 30 lb ruck. I did 21 minutes on a mixture of gravel and soft sand. I am 25, 6’5″, 204 lbs. I don’t have a ton of upper body strength. I have been rucking regularly though, and when I do I try to include a burst of 1/4-1/2 mile of the airborne shuffle. It sucks, but it’s all about how bad you want it. I’m no para, and I have been lax about rucking lately due to working a lot more, which is unfortunate because I have a GORUCK light on Saturday…

But all that to say, it is doable. It is tough, but doable. Even someone who isn’t a great runner can get under 24. Just keep shuffling…be glad Max isn’t making us go to the Brecon Beacons like the UKSF, because that would truly suck.

16. Max Velocity says:

I just went out and ran the 2-Miler after day 1 of CTT. I couldn’t help myself. I have been off running for about 6 months with plantar fasciitus. In my prime I could do the 2-miler in 14 minutes and change. I measured a course on the access road to the MVT training site. Alumni will know that it is far from flat. I took a ruck at 36 lbs. Time: 21:23. Age 41. Down to the bridge and back again.

The route back up from the bridge to past the square range was mostly uphill and it was hard to keep any pace on: I ended up speed walking a lot rather than airborne shuffling. Plus my legs were jelly from lack of use. Only years of anger got me through, which is really the point! 😉

Once we nail down pass times for this test, we may have to adjust time for any route run at MVT, adding a couple of minutes. It’s a ball buster with the hills. I am thinking 24 minutes as a general cut off time for III Rifleman standard. Maybe 25 minutes for routes run at MVT on the hills.

However: the plus side is that now I’m back to ruck running, IT”s ON!

Get on it guys: this is a group effort, let’s make a fucking difference! I am now back ruck running so I challenge any of you to beat me on the MVT route! I will destroy that time as I get back to fitness. Why, because fuck you!

• Submariner says:

“I took a ruck at 36 lbs.”

Did you wear a battle belt as well?

If so, what was its weight?

• highcountry says:

I gave the 2 miler at the MTV training site a go today at the end of our CTT day. I had 32 lbs in my pack and got it done in 21:30 min. It took everything I had to get that time. I did it jogging. Would like to try it doing the shuffle run or speed walk on the steep up hills. I think with training, different boots, and a better pack I could cut a bit of time off. I’m 40 and think if my self as being in decent shape.

17. JeffSags says:

I just did my first “2-miler” in 24:07. I am gonna try for that original 18 minute standard!

18. Good Idea Fairy says:

Perhaps instead of “Rifleman, Reserve, and Support” there are more historical terms to describe levels of performance. As Duane pointed out in an earlier thread, your higher standards are basically defining modern Minutemen.

So why not:
    1) Minuteman
    2) Trained Band
    3) Alarm List

That is the historical division of the militia in the Anglo-American tradition. It also avoids confusion with the words “reserve” and “support” which delineate military tasks and components.

A team of “Riflemen” (Minutemen) could well be held in reserve, as a QRF, for example. They could also be in a “support” role in a given context (as the “support by fire” element for example). “Reserve” is also associated with the Reserve Component of the US armed forces, and “Support” with CS/CSS branches.

Better to use words with less baggage and more historical meaning to boot, IMO.

The words were just examples.

However, i am not sure your suggestions are any better. Simply because they are historical? WTF is a III Alarnm list or Trained Band? See my point?

We need something new and meaningful, not just old for the sake of it.

I do like III Rifleman.

19. Sfsigo says:

Am I correct in assuming that the standard dictates that the rifle is to be carried without a sling?

20. Grenadier1 says:

Well, my time last night truely sucked. Again I was on a treadmill at the gym so that plays a factor. I cant seem to do well on treaadmills I think its the bounce they have in them that throws me off, I always feel like I am falling forward rather than running. At any rate I took this a little different and just said I will go for 20 minutes to see what distance I can get and work it down from there. I got 1.3 miles in 20 minutes. So I got a ways to go and I am planning on getting to the local park this weekend it has a good 2.2 mile loop around the lake.

21. StarvinLarry says:

Since you were able to do the 2 miler in under 24 minutes-and had not been running for 6 months-why drop the time?
    I’m 55 and have one busted up leg with screws in the knee,and a titanium rod from knee to ankle. Most of the calf muscle came from my abs-I can never get 6 pack abs again-only a 3 pack,because one side is now on my calf.

If I can do 28 minutes-anyone with 2 good legs can do it in 18 if they train.
    Like you said-it’s not no child left behind-it’s supposed to be hard.

I’ll try the 2 miler again after next week-as I’ll be hunting every day until next weekend.
    I’ll post my time here,and I’ll post some pics of my leg on my site for motivational purposes.

22. Seth says:

13:54.4
    56 pound ruck
    Gentle hills

15 years old
    6’3″

I started of at a shuffle, or whatever and the started into a full run. Fearful I wouldn’t make time. I guess I did. I did it in jeans and boots with a t-shirt. I saved a bit of time by slipping on some mud and rolling down the biggest hill. It hurt like a SOB but I got back and kept going.

23. Seth says:

Forgot to add. I normally do five miles with an 85lb. Ruck. In about 52 minutes and change, maybe that’s why this was not as bad as could have been.

24. Actionsaxon says:

Wow… I’m shocked as hell. I made it.

Woods clothes and boots with 40# ruck since NYPD doesn’t like rifles.
    18 min 44 sec.
    Two miles rolling on pavement.
    Age 48.
    I thought of “friends in need” and rucked the hell out of it like it was right “TF” NOW! we may need it in NY sooner than later. You call it a TAB, right? My time shocked the shit out of me. I realize that I DO do things that help me in this kind of thing, like long range and speed hiking as well as mountaineering and running. I was still surprised.

2 fast and loaded is no joke!

25. barry gordon says:

I have a B.S. in Exercise Science with some masters level classes.

Because of the high risk of injury I would recommend not running with weight unless it’s a real situation.

I would recommend for training walking fast with weight or jogging/sprint training on the same day or different days.

Everyone try this and comment. Do a bunch of squats including one leg variants with your pack on and then speed walk with weight, that will work you hard and save time. By doing this you are pre exhausting your legs before the march, it’s as if you have already did a lot of rucking

By doing the above you will still get in combat shape and will be able to run with weight if needed.

If you insist on running with weight at least add weight very slowly to give your body a chance to adapt.

Training advice to follow when I get back from this 6 day class.

• Actionsaxon says:

Running under load is definitely an issue. I know several guys who are into “Go Ruck” and have knee and back injuries from it. There is a pace that is a kind of quick march where the body mechanics are not running, but walking, but really fast. You remain under “easy” load and unload of the muscles, with no “shock” loading like you get at a run. This is really important for speed and endurance. Care to do 15 miles? Also, you can “super recruit” long finer muscle to function as “quick twitch” but not the other way (afaik) There is also a functional load limit for each person individually as to how much they can carry at speed, using a “walk” before they are forced to break into a “run” or slow down. HTH!

• StarvinLarry says:

Barry Gordon

Shoot me an e-mail if you are wiling to answer some questions for me.
      Since I’ve got issues with my leg,and had remote flap done-rectus abdominus taken out and “transplanted” to calf where there was nothing but scar tissue from old injury,and years and years of osteomyelitis.
      Osteomyelitis is gone,bone is healed,just need to build more strength in one leg.
      Have very limited range of motion in ankle,slight limitation on range of motion in knee.

Any tips on types of exercises would be greatly appreciated.
      Will give you any info on surgeries done to leg,etc if you are willing to dispense some advice.

e-mail me at…

gamegetterII@yahoo.com

26. Leatherneck556 says:

Just re-ran the 2-Miler and the results are MUCH better.

Final Time: 19:49
    Course: Somewhat level gravel road
    Personal Stats: 28 y/o, 5’9″, 200#
    Load: 31.5# Alice Pack, Loaded AR-15

If you call BS over me dropping my time by more than 5 minutes in three days, then I understand. To you I would say this: I didn’t get that much better in three days, and I understand that.

When I went out the first time to run this a few days ago, I was going out with the impression that I would beat the 18:00 time or at least come within a minute or two. As I said previously, I’m in pretty good shape.

When partway through my run I realized I was going to be lucky to beat 27:00, I was in disbelief. At the end when I had made just over 25 minutes, I was thinking: WTF IS GOING ON!? I mean, seriously: I was losing sleep over this. I was counting down the hours until I thought an honest go could be made of a second run.

I didn’t want to come back and post my time and say, “Well this time isn’t right!” The thing is, it was right; it was what I ran. But I was really taken aback by that time. I knew there was no way that this lifting cycle had messed me up that bad.

I’m going to chock it up to being my first run in a few weeks. Had to shock my system back into it. I don’t know if that’s it or not, but today’s time is much closer to what I expected. I will get this down below 18:00, and I will work to have no more “bad days” on this. You don’t get the luxury of a bad day in the real world.

• barry gordon says:

I am not a doctor, I am not a physical therapist. I would go with what they say you can or cannot do. My education covers physical training on how to become bigger, stronger, increase endurance and become faster etc.

As far as stress on your joints when walking. Get any excess weight off, I would recommend anyone overweight should only be walking without weight until they lose the fat.

Is there any reason you cannot strengthen your chest, back, shoulders and arms? Think of it this way, you may not outrun anybody but if they get close and you can put your hands on them, they are in trouble!

You have one good leg? You can do various 1 leg squats for the good leg and there will be carryover training effects to the bad leg.

Isometric exercise can help you strengthen the bad leg without stressing the joints. Basically you just do a series of muscle contractions and continuous muscle contractions to strengthen the muscles. Start with easier contractions and build up over workouts.

If you have been cleared for exercise you should start very slowly and increase intensity slowly. Once you experience pain in your joints that is your body probably telling you it has reached it’s limits.

If you have been cleared for walking then first build distance walking comfortably. Then experiment with some bouts of medium walking to fast walking thrown in. If you can do that then slowly add weight. I do mean slowly! You only need to do just about any workout twice a week to see results and gives you plenty of time to recover.

You probably should not be running, if you can walk fast with weight that is sufficient.

You are probably going to have to pack light/freeze at night. Should you consider just carrying a handgun? Really give thought to what you carry and why.

As far as joint flexibility, this is an area for your physical therapist given your situation.

As far as what this site is about, someone has to guard the base, protect women and children in your group. Do you have knowledge to pass on? Not everyone can be the tip of the spear.

work on your marksmanship

I chose to answer openly so others may benefit.

You can ask me openly, if you really want me to respond in private I will.

• StarvinLarry says:

Barry Gordon-

Thanks for the reply-the only reason I asked you to e-mail is so that we didn’t have a bunch of off topic posts that only apply to a couple of guys.

I’ve been cleared by Dr. to do any exercise I’m capable of doing.
        Series of surgeries was over 3 years ago-then in Jan of ’13 I got pneumonia,which turned into a serious lung infection-and cost me 20% of capacity in one lung due to scarring from lung surgery.
        5 weeks in hospital,lost 53 pounds-and all the muscle mass I had gained back after the ortho surgeries.
        I’m back up to 190,only have some belly fat-bet hey,I’m 55 and been through more surgeries than anyone should ever have to go through.
        I hunt deer and elk extensively with bow and muzzle loader,and can hike both the Appalachians and the northern Rocky mountains in NW Montana-(Bob Marshall wilderness area)- and the Lolo pass area as well.
        I have posted previously that I will not be at the tip of the spear,that doesn’t mean that I should slack off and not train balls to the wall.
        I have other needed skills with which I can contribute-my opinion is that everyone needs to be Tip of the spear capable- no matter what their assignment is.

I need to build muscle mass one the bad leg from knee down,strengthen both knee and ankle-that’s what I’m looking for suggestions on-trying to find some new exercises.

27. J.P. Jones says:

Course ended up being 2.2 miles mapped out on an online run route calculator. I ran with 20-25 lbs ruck, plate carrier with trainer plates, and a 10 lbs sledge hammer filling in for the rifle. Just clocked it at 20:54.

I’m 23 years old, 6’0, and 155 lbs. Let’s just say that I ruck, PT, etc. regularly.

Not regularly enough apparently! Damn! I’m pissed that I wouldn’t make the original cut. I’m very impressed with y’all old timers knocking out sub-24:00 times.

For all you other beta testers, make sure you run with a rifle. Since many of us cannot just prance around our neighborhoods with our long guns, a 10 lbs sledge is an imperfect, but good, stand in.

28. MQ says:

33 years old. 191#
    2 miles 18:22
    Road, 48 feet total elevation gain. Fairly flat

29. MJ says:

I have a 1 ml plus ridding path at the cabin so i did 2 laps. their is 50ft of elevation change with a small creek and some rolls to the trail. i’m 54, 250 lb, 10 weeks out of lower back surgery, with a knee surgery in the past, so a little worried. AR and pistol chest rig and belt, 9 loaded 30rd mags, 3 20rd pistol mags, 1 quart canteen, 100 oz camel back, knife, and multi tool, etc. No ruck due to recent surgery( will be added later). Still made it in 21 minutes, on the first try, have more work to do, i will make it. Buckle down and you can make it too, don’t let THEM beat us. We all have work to do, so get out of the damn easy chair and do it.

• StarvinLarry says:

If busted up old guys like me are out trying,and other busted up old guys are trying and getting close to the original 18 minute goal-then there’s no excuse for the younger guys not to make the 18 minutes-just could take a bit of training to get the time down.

• MJ says:

You are right on the money, I work out 4 days a week at the gym, just do it. I hear guy of all ages complain about not having enough time, if you go at it to get it done, it doesn’t take that long. Stop shooting the shit, and get to it. I still talk some, but I get done in 45 min to hour, what a lot of guys do in 2 hours. Work with what you have, but get to it, your stronger than you think, don’t self sabotage.

30. Mike H says:

I shuffled 2 miles in approx 22 minutes w/ 34lb ruck on way home today…I was gassed..it then took 40 minutes for final 2 miles. I can see adding this to the training program and seeing if time does improve. Body held up …will post more in the future.

31. Mike H says:

Got caught up on the posts. Thumbs up to all the older guys getting out there and posting times. Also seeing a young man(Seth) posting impressive numbers is very inspiring! Keep the posts coming……

32. barry gordon says:

A post workout selfie? My mother looked more fatigued after fixing Thanksgiving. Just joking. I do hate your rugged good looks, on that I am serious! When I read your original post I got fired up and left Mcdonalds and worked out, seriously!

33. OldeEnglishCider says:

Ran the 2-miler early Sunday. 23:06 with 33lb ruck, and measured route with Garmin GPS. Fairly flat course but with 1 hilly section.

The time for this 46yrs old is okay, but this will definately head south in the coming weeks. I was most pleased that my injured knee held out very well (was tendon damage otherwise known as jumpers knee – so far has taken 9 months to recover and it still not 100%). I chose to wear HWI kneepads and these provided excellent stability to my recovering knee.

Thanks for the inspiration to do this Max! I am hooked on speed marches again.

34. Andy says:

Fat, out of shape, former ultrarunner. This challenge was exactly what I needed to get my ass away from the computer. 46, 6’2″, 245 who hasn’t done a bit of exercise in 4 years other than elbow curls at the bar.

No pack, just my long-neglected running gear.

23:44 for about 2 miles. I clearly have the aerobic capacity of a mushroom. As I “ran”, I thought about my family members at the other end of the 2 miles getting shot at. I don’t need anymore motivation.

Yes, I am purposely and publicly embarrassing myself.

I pledge to not buy another piece of kit until I meet the standard with weight.

35. R.P. says:

I ran the 2 miler this morning. 20:27 with a 31# ruck w/o rifle.

Age: 35