Sandman WV Sends: The Appalachian Redoubt

MVT Patches
March 4, 2014
GEAR: Profile Considerations
March 6, 2014

The Appalachian Redoubt:

“The Redoubt is based on a 1921 survey of the “Appalachian Region” based on ethnicity, traditions and culture. It is centered on the Appalachian Mountains, and includes part of the Appalachian Basin to the south. It is bounded on the north by the Mason-Dixon region, and includes 80% of American coal production. It includes huge areas of virgin wilderness, (National Forests, etc) I think most urban-cesspools would be cleared out by the judicious use of embargoes and blockades. Lines of urban communication and logistics are very fragile in the region (mountain railroads, primarily) and easily disrupted. If anyone was so inclined.”

Perhaps the Republic of Appalchia after the SHTF dissolution and balkanization?

Appalachian Redoubt

A defensible mountain region populated by hard-grafting country folk. Me like.

Why?

Why

Till Valhalla!

1. Brian from Georgia says:

Spot on.

The inland NW redoubt is far from ports, too cold and is not the best for crops. Appalachia for the win.

Our only hope of keeping a republic is through secession driven by liberty-minded, fiercely independent freemen. Admittedly, I think we’re behind the PNW in that sentiment. Much work to do in waking people up!

Yes, i have little time for the NW redoubt. Red herring, in my mind. A lot of it is tank country. Not in Appalachia!

2. Skittles says:

Never got on board with the NW redoubt either. Red herring indeed. Plus its not friendly to killer bee hives.

3. Tater in SC says:

Sandman,

Trained with your and your group last August (K’s CQB). You won’t recognize my handle, didn’t gain it until later (Thanks Sam C.). It’s not as cool as “Skittles”, but it stuck. You are definitely on to something. Please email me at tatersc@hushmail.com to continue discussion.

Tater, out.

4. Chuck says:

Appalachia is full of limestone cave systems and abandoned mines. Just sayin’

5. Bergmann says:

There is no tank country in my immediate AO, limited AFV use perhaps. Its boots and helicopter country. Mountains totally dominate everything in every conceivable way, even on the coastal Islands. Up north, perhaps tanks could be used because it wide open tundra, but unless its a strategic push, there really is nothing there to fight over and the population varies from random homesteaders, to super thin, to uninhabited in most place. We have one highway system in the entire state running from the interior to the Gulf of Alaska ending at Seward. This place is fuked up. Its not the end of the world paradise most ppl take it for from Tv and books..

In my area there is no one I have met i would want to network with or depend on outside my group. I have met lots of ppl putting on officers ranks they bought at the store and wearing the latest kit and camo that has never been nor ever will get dirty..

You’re fortunate to have so many so close. You have options..

Bergmann

6. Me says:

I live in the Appalachians for a reason.

But don’t kid yourself about some aspects of the Appalachians. The same reasons you mentioned – lots of wilderness (for the east coast), lack of infrastructure, the mountains themselves, the generations of poverty and welfare recipients (much less the huge number of meth addicts), lack of direct access to the ocean (ports for trade) will make this a very poor ($$$) country if it were on it’s own.

Just pointing this out.

Saying that, this is probably the best place to be on the east coast for alot of reasons.

Its a mix or hard working real folks, and welfare meth assholes. I think that the latter will die off, and the former just need to protect themselves from them in the short term.

• Me says:

Agreed. Just something to keep in mind is why I brought it up – no matter what the issues are, it’s far better than living in a city.

Though don’t underestimate some of the meth assholes (and other criminal elements) though. Some of them are far more organized and capable than you’d think. Certain groups out there would LOVE things to go bad in this country, and are prepared for it. Freedom-loving American patriots aren’t the only group of people who are prepared for things to go bad.

And unfortunately, the average American is not mentally prepared to handle the sheer level of violence that would result from things and would need a period of adjusting. Criminal elements are far ahead of the game in this aspect and won’t have any ethical rules they’d have to play by. (even wonder why bad guys tend to take power more often than good guys? Good guys are limited in what they will do to take power. The others aren’t, giving them a distinct edge)

Just pointing out that a drastically over-reaching government (or the chinese invading or whatever you want to put in there as the Bad Guys) won’t be the only problems you will have to deal with. Alot of people never think about this side of things.

• Thomas says:

Could/would you expand on this? I am interested to understand more about the situation.

• Me says:

Which aspect of it? Criminal elements? Other factions? Or the mental / violence side of things? (I’m assuming the first 2?)

• Thomas says:

Yes, the first two. I did not realize that the meth heads were organizing. What factions and how are they adapting to the environment?

• Brutus says:

Im also curious as to the meth head stuff as I live directly in the Smokies and its fairly non existent. And what little trouble you hear about tends to be directed at people they know. Are you located in kentucky or somewhere else?

• Me says:

I live a bit north of the smokies, and meth is a pretty big problem around here. Theyre actually starting to get some in from mexico from what im hearing.

Anyways, I wasnt referring so much to methheads organizing – most of those guys tend to be at best small groups, though not always. I was referring to other groups out there. I live where ALOT of drugs get moved through here, transiting north from miami and such. Everyone in the county knows it and we probably have more federal le than local le around here because of it – though no big busts ever happen. Whats going to happen when these groups cant do their thing any more?

But I wasnt even referring to those. I have a couple close friends who used to be 1%’s, bikers, who found God and changed their ways. Both ex military, one an old vietnam vet (showed me all 7 bullet wounds – its hard to fake those) We talk about alot, and one of the themes they both independently keep telling me is that their old gangs – and quite a number of other criminal groups out there – are quietly preparing for society to fall apart in this country – and some of them are far better armed than youd think. One of them specifically mentioned hispanic gangs, but that isnt that big of an issue up here as it is out in the sw and in florida.

We may not have alot of criminal elements that are well organized up here in the mountains – there are a few. Some of the white supremacist groups maybe, I dont know if they are all talk or what. I hate racists, so I dont know anyone from that group. Anyways, the point I was making is dont completely ignore the chance one might be operating near you. Or you might end up encroatching on their territory sometime in the future. Ever run across the pot fields up in the national foresta? Not all of those are run by locals. How about some of the bigger towns and cities that are on the edge of the appalachians? Im trying to remember the details and find a link but its eluding me, but I read a news article back last year talking about one of the somewhat recent ‘wars’ – it might have been the bosnia thing. But after it all settled down, a criminal group who had been chased out of a larger city by another group settled in a small rural town and forcibly disarmed the locals who had just finished fighting a war. Basically said they didnt care for rules and theyd target women and children unless they disarmed. Ill keep lokking for the link.

Anyways, it was just something to think about – realize that sometimes there is more than one enemy. History shows that alot when society breaks down. I really dont think it will be a huge problem up here in the mountains, but each local area is different. I live up here for a reason. Not only is it beautiful, the weather great, the locals nice, but that I also think itd be the safest place on the east coast if ANY form of breakdown happens.

• TN Vet says:

According to State and Fed LE, Knoxville and most other urban areas are being heavily seeded with Hispanic gang factions especially smaller cities and their suburban areas. Knoxville especially is seeing more Gang Violence Task Force LE. TVA Police witch are Feds started receiving gang oriented training 4 or 5 years ago.

• Culper says:

The Appalachians are resource rich. Good timber, coal, and natural gas. When the natural gas revolution happens, pre- or post-SHTF, there’s more than a decent chance that we become the Middle East of NG/LNG.

• Grenadier1 says:

You want money in that region when things go to shit?

Grow pot, make moonshine and meth. Sell that to make all the money you need. One of the biggest churches in my AO was built back in the 20’s with moonshine money. This redoubt is my backyard so know what you speak of but your thinking in the box of the current situation.

• Me says:

I prefer to not make / sell narcotics, even without the law to stop me…. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• F says:

Agreed.

Its best for everyone to focus on the sale/production of useful things.

• Grenadier1 says:

Look I got no love for weed or meth, I have seen it destroy people. Its just the reality of the situaiton. There are going to be people that are highly addicted to these substances, if they cant find their supply they will become violent. So these substances will be “usefull” in buying those peoples complacency. They also have medicinal uses and given the lack of pharma after the collapse they may be your only source of pain killers for your buddy with the 5.56 in his thigh.

• Sandman says:

We mine and transport most of the coal that keeps the country’s power plants running. Currently billions of dollars from that income is funneled OUT of the region to mining consortiums and their .gov lackeys.That is a major resource that belongs to the People of this region. And we have been mining it and selling it cheap since the 1800s. Yes, the region is considered “Poor” by urban standards, but we are rich beyond measure in many other ways.

Interesting thought: what would happen if locals took the mines and embargoed the coal export? Speaking to MTP, who works in WV coal mining, the industry is dead, no jobs?

• Sandman says:

Max,

The mines and MSRs would be easy to shut down.
          Holding them in the current environment would be problematic. In a shtf scenario, it would be easily achieved.

And yes, the Coal Industry is one of the most heavily regulated and taxed, so jobs have suffered a lot in the last few years.

There is a great wave of hatred (even among the unions) for the effete bureaucrats in DC who are purposely harming the families of the region.

I use the word hatred with certainty, there are such things as justifiable rage and righteous anger. In my book, hatred of evil people is no sin. I think MTP would agree.

• MtTopPatriot says:

Guy’s is that ever a question and food for much thought.
            I think there is a very important insight here to be understood.
            Your closer to the truth o things than we may fully appreciate.

Tell you it is a subject that crosses my mind every day. I can not reckon out any simple answer cause it eludes simple definition for me. I believe it, like all things Liberty and men’s sovereignty, begins with culture. Andrew Breitbart said something very profound, he said “culture is upstream of politics”. I think it is why they murdered Andrew. He understood the key to defiance and Liberty in our time. I think he was saying all politics are local, and revolution is upstream of everything.

I’ve adopted a philosophical outlook trying to understand the dynamics involved. I think when you understand people you understand war and Liberty at the local level.

Max and Sandman you guy’s asked a doozy of a question. I think it plays to a much larger question of solidarity and self awareness of the power of a plurality aware of it’s nascent power across this land to begin with.
            Or the 3% and what precipitates it’s birth.

One aspect of those out to destroy the character of our Liberty that dovetails with the war on coal, is that it is crony/marxist control capitalism and the deep state control of energy, and, the fear and loathing those in power have for the working folks of Appalachia.
            See, I suspect this fear of the people of Appalachia is at the root of efforts to impoverish the people in these mountains in order to diminish and control them to keep them too busy scratching out a living to rise up and revolt.

Importantly to it all folks of Appalachia posses many essential faiths key to Freemen that assure and advance the cultural idea of Liberty, where these things are the ingredients to a moral people worthy of a republic constituted in the idea of rule of law and not rule of men, and this is heresy to the son of a bitches running things, and it must be crushed.

Those faiths are the “bitter things” the psycopathic cocksucker in the white house spoke of. Family, tribe, weapons, traditions of work, and above all faith in God.

Please understand I’m a Yankee from the northern reaches of these mountains, my perspective is colored by the invasion and hatred I have for the commie bastards who have polluted undermined the rural character and culture with their fetid agenda to destroy the people and culture of the “unsecured spaces”.

Appalachia is far larger and has many subcultures than the north country of New England. There are family enclaves of members of the deep state, the 12 banking families, and their red diaper prodigy. I grew up close to the area of pivotal places like the town of Fabian, the Bretton Woods accord of 1901 and 2009 held at the Mt Washington hotel, Deception Mtn, and the bug-out compounds of these oligarchy families.
            Some of these have existed since the war of 1812.

I wish I had all the words to talk more with you guy’s about this. I hope you express your insights and observation further, I think there is much to understand and share here. I want to understand much more of the essential’s that makes Appalachia.
            It is a natural born redoubt.
            A real dandy of a redoubt.

Controlling this incredible rich energy resource is a mighty weighty subject.
            You can’t ignore the strategic importance of it nor the clowns running things contingency plans to assure who controls it.

After all, the bullshit about “dirty coal” is one current in the river of bullshit the bastards foist in order to control us and this energy source.
            The finest metallurgical coal in the world, and the largest deposits of it lie under the folks of Appalachia’s feet. It belongs to them sure as those things they bitterly cling to.
            One day we all got to wake up to that truth.
            Just as we don’t belong to presidents, the deep state, their vassals or Nomenklaturer and apparatchiks.
            And that coal and what we choose to do with it.

And you know why Appalachia is the target of such agenda Max?
            You summed it up perfectly if you don’t realize it..
            Only a fightin’ Britt teaching us Yanks how to defend our Liberty and kill the son of a bitches when they get frisky could articulate such a succinct and beautiful idea.

…because FUCK YOU!
            That’s why

• LT says:

BINGO – “I suspect this fear of the people of Appalachia is at the root of efforts to impoverish the people in these mountains in order to diminish and control them to keep them too busy scratching out a living to rise up and revolt.”

This is the underlying cause of their attacks upon the South in general, and Apalachia in particular. “Reconstruction” was the first of their efforts at “transformation”,i.e. destruction of our culture, values, and communities, and they’ve been chipping away at us ever since.

They hate nothing so much as “God, Family, Tribe” because nothing causes them greater fear. The more control we exert over our own destiny, by maintaining our focus in life – God, Family, Tribe – the fewer points of control they have. That’s why they have exerted every effort to destroy our families, particularly in the South and Apalachia, as our families are the bedrock of our existence.

Communists have always made heavy use of “sappers” in every form of warfare; they are always infiltrating, undermining, and corrupting in their social warfare, which they call “Social Justice” campaigns; their objective is always to undermine, corrupt, and destroy our values and institutions, starting with the family and the church. It’s what they do…it’s what evil ALWAYS does.

WE HAVE BEEN WARNED

Thanks to Max, Sandman, and all the other sharp souls out there who see the Truth of the enemy, and the nature of their attacks against us!

Cheers!
            LT

7. Me says:

On a slightly side-note, you are going to have issues with all the various factions out there – specifically all the white supremacists and militia factions who have various goals, often conflicting. There would be a huge power-play among all the factions.

Don’t forget the politics side of things.

8. mr says:

I have mountains dominating my surroundings as well. There are valleys and some flat land, but the mountain are definitely not tank country where I’m at. Billy goat country more like it.

9. James says:

Having trained with Max and as a resident of the area, I am interested in the concept. Do you have website links to the various organizations listed? Thanks.

10. pelletfarmer says:

That was always my dream place to live…specifically very southern OH way east of Portsmouth. And WV & KY of course. Nothin’ like the hollers, eh? Hell, I even liked Huntington and I don’t like college towns. Alas, I married a lass; no such living for me. Yet.

Here’s the part that puzzles me—why AFTER?

11. FormerSapper says:

I never understood the concept of the NW redoubt. It seemed hard to defend, shitty resources, shitty winters etc. SC looks to me to be the best of the Appalachian Redoubt… Interesting indeed.

• Me says:

The NW redoubt originally came from the concept that it is the most remote place in the US from major population centers + the people there are for the most part good people. Different scenario than what Max talks about – it’d be better than the Appalachian regions for a total collapse of society where the hordes in the cities run out of food and are forced to forage within a hundred or so miles of where they live.

It’s not bad out there, I’m originally from that neck of the woods. In some ways it’s better than the Appalachians. Pros and cons. I prefer the Appalachians because of the weather – awesome summers and mild winters. Part of me wants to be back in the mountains out west though…

• LT says:

“The NW redoubt originally came from the concept that it is the most remote place in the US from major population centers + the people there are for the most part good people.”
        If you look at the original concept, one of the prime criteria which drove the delineation of “The Redoubt” was survivability in the event of nuclear exchange between the US and USSR, in addition to the above observations. You’ll have to decide for yourself whether that is still/again a factor in your threat matrix.

I believe that Apalachia is a better choice for many, myself included, primarily because Apalachia is not so remote as to make earning a living impossible under the present paradigm. It’s also an easier “sell” for our extended family – many of whom are not able to leave their east-coast suburban locations due to their employment, and whom we expect will be bugging out to our farm when TSHTF. A number of my neighbors are in the same situation as we are – they have purchased “beach-head properties” with the intention of having their families gather there when the time comes.
        Of course, this will very likely get interesting when all these new folks arrive, with all of their assortage issues, in the middle of SHTF, and have to come together as a community in short order…

12. RobRoySimmons says:

Pardon my ignorance, while it looks like tactical pleasing territory it looks a bit light on agricultural usage. There was a reason its farmers were poor and moved west.

My brilliant bug out plan has been to buy a place where the state tree is the telephone pole. MV calls such places tank country sure enough, but its only strategic worth is commodity ag production for prole feeding. I wouldn’t start an insurgency from it though, they could FLIR you for miles.

Precisely: both tank and UAV country. Appalachia has plenty of farming, just of the small community type, not huge fields for mass agriculture. Just what is needed. And as for it being close to zombie populations, as some have said, good luck to them trying to bug out to, and cause trouble in, Appalachia.
      I think the NW redoubt may be good for a Rawles-style retreat from the ‘golden horde’ but misses the point for fighting enemies foreign and domestic.

• Me says:

Totally agree. I feel safe as I can be up here.

• Pericles says:

OK – given that, there has to be an opponent to come after you for that to be a disadvantage.

Who is coming? From where are they coming? and, how are they going to get there. M1 series tanks are going to do an operational refuel every 125 to 150 miles. Depending on how far away you are from a military installation, that means at least one tactical refuel, which means support from a BCT support battalion. The direction of travel is toward 33 to 28 BCTs on active duty, and a like number in the Guard. Not even in my wildest fantasies is the Army going to devote 2% to 5% of its combat power to chase after me – they will have other higher priority issues requiring attention.

Same for UAVs – tactical drones are with the BCTs and Hellfire missile launchers are reserved for HPTs, and given max production rates for Hellfires, any more than 6 per day get used, and the well will run dry in less than a year.

While our logistics suck, there isn’t anyone else out there who is in good shape on the logistics side either.

• Chuck says:

Assuming the regime decides to conduct a COIN campaign against the mythical “FREEFOR” the day to day work would be done by local and state police agencies with some Federal assistance.

Given the troop-to-task mismatch between US ground forces and the vast distances and population of the continental United States, it doesn’t take a genius to figure out that things like Combined Arms Battalions and Apache companies will be reserved for big named operations. That and attempting to keep ground lines of communication open in a country with a road network as vast as CONUS will stretch the Army (including the Guard and Reserve) to the breaking point.

For perspective, Iraq had basically one four-lane highway during our time there and Afghanistan has none.

It’s all pluses and minuses. Being west of the Mississippi is thought to be more advantageous in many circles because of the lower population density, therefor the more likelihood of survival. The Appalachians are probably closer to most folks, so it probably has a greater chance of successful exfil to safety.

But it is a fact that your chances are much greater if you can beat feet right now, to either location, rather than waiting until the last minute.

But you have to weigh the actual possibility of something like this happening, against the possibility of everything just stumbling along, as it has for several decades.

No easy answers here. You can spend your whole life preparing for something that never happens. Or you can get caught in the middle of a shitstorm from which escape is not likely.

I think the best COA is to stay in place, but prepare for an exfil to a retreat location. Yes it is riskier, but given most people’s circumstances, it’s probably the best compromise between doing nothing at all, and becoming a hermit in a cave.

So pick a location, and plan accordingly. I like Appalachia myself.

14. ApoloDoc says:

I have always found it interesting that eastern Washington, Idaho, Montana, etc had become the promised land for so many. Those are HARSH places to live. My father grew up and went to school there. Other relatives have lived or schooled in the area. It is HARSH! Cold country with short growing seasons and often very dry. Given that we are entering a period of the earth cooling not warming, the northern areas are going to get tougher to survive in.

Although my mother was from Appalachia, my first real involvement was backpacking western NC 30 yrs ago. Over time we have traveled on foot, mountain bike, and truck all over what I now call God’s Country.

For an interesting take, Joel Skousen wrote an interesting piece on “The Redoubt of the East” in 2011 that I recently came across: http://www.thesurvivalistblog.net/redoubt-of-the-east/ A significant point that he makes concerns those areas of the eastern Appalachians close to population centers. His thought is that some of those areas will be more likely over-run by (survivors of) the MASSIVE numbers fleeing the big cities. The Appalachians will ‘thin the herd’ quite a bit, making for greater security in out-of-the-way places to the west.

• Skittles says:

I agree Doc. I live on a ridge in the Appalachian Mts. It is still to close to the mahor population areas and would be swarmed by refugees when the time comes. My recomendation is to be atleast 15 – 30 miles beyond the interstates that around the whole area. In VA that would be 81, 66, 64, etc. Those will be MSRs for the occupying enemies and evac routes of the refugees. Once you get past 81, for instance, it gets a lot more rugged. People will not likely go the hatd route.

15. […] Food for thought and strategic planning. […]

16. Kerodin says:

This is an outstanding concept, and having lived in those mountains (fewer than 250 yards from the Appalachian Trail in Maryland) can affirm that every advantage listed above is accurate, especially the base nature of the people (except those who commute into the major metro areas for work).

The biggest downside – and EVERY possible location has downsides – is proximity to the large population centers especially from Richmond/Norfolk to Boston that .gov will invest heavily to keep. The upside – the population centers starve themselves to death without the support of the farmers in the redoubt.

The biggest upside: A very large percentage of the people who have had families in that area have deep roots, genuine woodsman skills even today, and they aren’t the sort to whimper when things get rough.

Good plan, folks.

K

17. PSYOP Soldier says:

As an NC’er by choice, Scotsman, and Southerner by birth, had to chime in this one…The Appalachians are perfect GW country for a variety of the reason mentioned previously, terrain, weather, resources, et al, but its’ most important aspect are the roots of the people..By and large, Scots/Irish, for the most part, warriors/clansmen/tribes…In fact, the largest concentration, outside the UK, reside there…Now, Jim Webb, wrote a great book on the fighting heritage of the Scots-Irish http://www.amazon.com/Born-Fighting-Scots-Irish-Shaped-America/dp/0767916891 …..I travel and fly fish quite a bit thru the region, from southern VA, down to SC, hitting all the mountain area/towns…Yes, I have stumbled upon pot fields, stills and all kind and manner of folks living and eking out a living…I would suspect that should things go, “kinetic,” that the Appalachians and their people would do quite well, and the methheads and their ilk, will be dealt with….I live in the Charlotte region, and would love to have a place there to escape too if need be…Be well all…PSYOP…

ps…Max, love the site, and have your books on kindle too..thank you for your service and all that you do here….

• FormerSapper says:

Wait, so you’re born in America but you’re a Scotsman? How does that work? I’m confused.

• Flecktarn says:

Hey PSYOP, we left Charlotte and moved to the High country six years ago. It took some adjustment with only one traffic light in the town. I enjoy the friendships I have made here and know ifwhen the SHTF, we will band together to protect hearth and home. Let me know if you’d like to meet for a pint. Regards Flecktarn

• Grenadier1 says:

I will explain, see we dont forget much down here in the South. Specifically we dont forget our past. Even though we were not born in Scotland the heart is always there. When you look back over my family tree you will see amply evidence in the repitition of names, that we honor our ancestors.

We dont forget easily, thats why we still have not forgiven the Yankees for burning their way through Georgia.

• FormerSapper says:

Oh I see. Maybe there is room for this Irish-Scots-Dutch-Boerman in your redoubt one day too ๐Ÿ˜‰

Yeah. Everyone seems to be, wants to be, Scots-Irish (or Scotch LOL) What about the Saxon-Vikings? Doesn’t seem popular or cool. I’m a mutt of all of that, which is what British really is. And no one claims Welsh?

• Chuck says:

Most Americans are mutts regardless of which heritage they claim. The longer their families have been here the more varied the genetic mix. For example, of the two main branches of my family (father’s side and mother’s side) the surnames can trace back to English Puritan refugees in the early 1600s and the early 1800s French refugees from the Haitian slave revolt respectively. But mixed in from all the other branches are Irish potato famine refugees, Scots-irish Tidewater settlers, Germans, etc. i tend to think of myself as more generically American or more specifically, Southern, or more specifically yet, Virginian.

• FormerSapper says:

@Max

I forgot about those don’t forget the Cornish are Celts too! This Irish-Scots-Dutch-Boer-Saxon-Cornishman with a Germanic surname is definitely a classic European mutt. I’ve always found it interesting that no one claims Welsh descent, I suppose not having any tall tails of rebellion and cool movies kind of makes them uncool I guess (quietly glossing over the fact that the “English” longbowmen from the Anglo-French wars were actually Welsh).

I digress and of course I’m playing, good on you for a nod to your ancestry I guess. I don’t really define myself by such things and thanks for the reasonable explanation it is certainly one of the things about U.S culture I find interesting.

18. Zhytamyr says:

I’ve not been through Appalachia, I’m looking for land in southeast OK, mountain land, good soil, good rainfall, natural gas, timber & low population density. Land is reasonably priced, and the east to west mountain range & low urbanization east, west, north & south (until DFW), insulates the region from the coming troubles.

19. Sandman says:

Good comments and ideas all. Just a few points to contend.

The crime/meth/trailer trash aspect- Our good folks outnumber and outclass these kind of people 10-1 in my AO. We know where they live and can easily deal with them in any SHTF scenario. I would put 8 of my guys up against any number of them.

Urban centers- Like any area there are cities, but this region tends towards smaller ones for geographic reasons.
    There is not much urban sprawl here. In my AO we have mapped every housing project, gov office, LEO and ANG facility. They would be encouraged to leave, if they are non-self supporting.

Proximity to East Coast Cities- Most of this region is on the opposite side of multiple mountain ranges, and over 400 Miles from the Boston-NY-DC corridor. There are few overland routes and most are easily blocked by small elements. (see Cumberland Pass as an example)

Scarcity of farmland- The southern portion of the region is rich in pasture/range land.
    All other areas have healthy growing seasons.
    Communal and family gardens are prevalent. Hell, I sit on an acre and a half of RICH hill land. We can grow anything we need here (and do)from potatoes to feed corn. My neighbors (who are fairly common folks) raise mules, horses, pigs, goats, chickens etc all within 2 miles of my home. (and I am NOT in a special area).

Culture- Lastly, the People. I have spent my life traveling before settling here 25 years ago. (my family is from Boone County KY and Boone County WV, yes THAT Boone). I have lived in DC, grew up in NY, worked in Phoenix, Las Vegas, Richmond, Atlanta, Eureka Ca, and other urban areas.I HAVE NEVER met urban folks who could hold a candle to the Scots-Irish-German stock of this region. We are fiercely independent, self-sufficient, despise judgement/nosy outsiders. And generally are Libertarian leaning, traditionalists with strong faith and ethics.

I have said before, I will NEVER leave these hills, they will bury me and mine here, as they have done for the last 150 years.

There are negatives, but as I said before, WE OWN THESE HILLS, not OpFor, not DC, NOT the FSA.

20. SkipW says:

I dunno, Max. You’ve included Loudoun County in Virginia, and that’s one of the current country’s richest…very leftist. Other than that, the map looks good. You must know, however, that the Virginia Tidewater and Northern Neck has a majority of folks like-minded to the post-USSA realities. I speak from Colonial Beach, VA.

Point of clarification: I did not create this. I got enthused by the idea after seeing what what Sandman posted – this map and the explanation that I copied into this post. Specifics are not so important as the concept.

• SkipW says:

I understand, Max, and thanks. Really, thanks for all you do. Sandman, too. You guys do yeomans’ work and put to print what many of us feel in our hearts.

• Sandman says:

I hear ya Skip, the Map is NOT final or definitive. It is from a 1921 survey. It is meant only to give a general idea of the region we are discussing. Many liberal towns and counties would opt out, or have to come to terms with a new Traditionalist/Libertarian way of life.

• Chris says:

SkipW,

While your comment is generally correct, western Loudoun County is still rural, and mostly farm land. I’ll completely agree with you that eastern Loudoun is fucked, and leftist. Many of the military contractors are located in E. Loudoun. I hunt in W. Loudoun, and there’s still good people out there.

You’re right about the Tidewater area, though. If you tell someone from that area they’re from NoVa, you’re likely to get your teeth knocked out. Most good Virginians hate everything north of the Rappahannock River. I speak from Loudoun, but I’m from Fredericksburg.

The Shenandoah has some of the best farm land in the country, hands down. There’s also farmers out there who have no love for the government, and all their regs.

Good idea.

• mr says:

I’ve lived in Western Loundon and also Fauquier. Both have excellent farm land and good country people as well.

21. Malgus says:

First comment on your site. Thought I would wait until I had something of use to say…

I’m a Kentucky native. Also an Army vet. I live in the Piedmont area of south central Kentucky, just east of the mountains proper, on a small farm. We’re working towards self-sufficiency.

We initially thought we wanted to live just north of Pikeville, but settled where we did (which still isn’t far) because of more arable land.

Like others have said, the mountains are resource-rich. Gas, coal (and it’s derivatives, such as kerosene, etc), timber.. despite The Pretender’s efforts to stamp out coal, much of the nation depends on coal for their power. The coal rich areas will probably be hotly contested.

A quick look at a map from Kentucky Fish and Game shows that the mountains are relatively game poor when compared to the rest of the Commonwealth. Arable land is in the bottoms, between the ridges, and is probably already occupied by someone – someone whose family has been there since the beginning. Growing enough to feed yourselves (assuming the population increase that we represent) will be a problem, at least at first.

The refugee issue… those in the mountains will experience it, no question. Same as we will in the Piedmont. You can’t feed everyone. Or even some. If you even try, you will be overwhelmed. Crowds bring disease, too. In today’s environment where medicines for rarefied diseases are made thousands of miles away, if not in another country, even one Typhoid Mary can spell disaster.

The path “we” have settled on (“we” being those of us who are aware who will remain in the Piedmont) is that our unincorporated area is reasonably defensible, provided we use our equipment (dozers, backhoes, trenchers, etc) to cut the hardball between “us” and everyone else and dig/create obstacles. Our area is rolling drumlins broken up with thick woods, criss-crossed with barbed wire fences, and our backs are to a river… an inventive individual can make it very, very difficult to get in here, if he so wished.

Would I head to the mountains if it came down to it? No. We already have contingency plans for my wife and son to flee to Europe, taking with them what they can. I have my own reasons for wanting that, so…

But I ain’t going anywhere. Just too stubborn, I guess. Won’t be moved, if I have anything to say about it…

If I had more resources, I would still purchase remote land north of Pikeville and stock it high and deep… but wish in one hand, ya know? But this is all we got, so here I stay, for better or naught…

Good website Max… you’re doing folks a service.

22. snowmizuh says:

It may not be tank country, but union troops apparently didn’t have too much trouble tromping around Appalachia during the War of Northern Aggression I.

I don’t understand how Grant took Lookout Mt. and Missionary Ridge in Chattanooga.

• Brad Suhr says:

Utter incompetence and complacency on the part of the confederate commander (Braxton Bragg) is the answer to your question. His subordinates wrote letters repeatedly to Jefferson Davis asking to have Braxton Bragg relieved. Because he was a member of the southern gentry, their warnings were not heeded. His incompetence not only lost Chattanooga, but opened the door to Sherman’s march.

I toured the battlefield about ten years ago. It was an illuminating experience.

23. Crustyrusty says:

My situation is similar to Malgus. Not in the mountains proper, but mountainous enough here, plus arable land. One way in, one way out, once you get to where I am. I’m happy where I’m at, and not going anywhere.

• Malgus says:

I re-read my comment, and like a huge knucklehead, I was thinking “the mountains proper are east of us”, and the word “east” stuck… we ain’t east of the mountains proper, we’re WEST of the mountains proper, just in case folks got confused…

I got no Walter Mitty fantasies about surviving a complete collapse. I’m pushing 50. My back is shot. I’m too old and tore up to go hiking around the mountains with a ruck and a rifle anymore (but I got one, maybe two good fights left in me).

The folks around here, they’re good folks. We’re all of a like mind, so we’re teaming up – strength in numbers for mutual protection. Bigger the group, greater the skills you can draw on, more folks who can pull a trigger, etc..

• Crustyrusty says:

Yeah, I’m not that far from you, I knew where you meant ๐Ÿ™‚

I’m over 50 (ugh) but I can still hump logs down from the back woods to be split. The “energetic” teenagers can hardly lift the logs high enough to put in a wheelbarrow.

Speaking of woods, I seem to remember, after GW I, that the training emphasis moved from the forests of West Germany to the hot dry sandy places. I wonder how many troops are left on AD who know how to maneuver in the woods…?

Yeah, those of us who don’t live in a fairly large blue college town are pretty much decided that it’s all going to shit and are getting ready.

24. StukaPilot says:

not my war, but I’ll take a wild guess: massive artillery superiority in front, chopped supply lines behind. His usual – see also Vicksburg.

25. MtTopPatriot says:

I live deep in these mountains. They are a great equalizer. Small unit tactics and 5th gen war rules. You have to personally see and hump these ridges and hollows to understand the extreme nature of the terrain. Down here in the deep coal fields the geography is like no other terrain in America. Rifles, grenades, claymores and ambushes are king.

If you have seen Max’s compound, you know it’s rugged country. Multiply that by 4 and reduce roads by 90%, increase the ridge to hollow ratio 5 times, and it still won’t prepare you.

I’m no SF operator, but patriots trained right by Max and his SF brethren, with proper support and material would be a force I don’t think any but maybe, maybe the finest, .mil operatives could hope to defeat.

And best case they would take a fucking beating they might not be able to recover from.

26. Sandman says:

MTP,

We are up in Kanawha, are you down in Logan or Mingo?

27. Phoenix says:

The problem is going to be factions and trust. Needs to be built now and not post shtf. All these chest thumping groups out there need to stop that crap and start talking. Ham radio would be a good place to start. Most these areas are served by wide area repeaters. And while post shtf many would be gone at least the foundational trust would be in place.

• MtTopPatriot says:

Work in up above Whitesville, come down from Nicholas

• Sandman says:

My grandparents are buried outside Whitesville, on the Prenter/Seth side.
        My grandpa was a miner turned preacher.
        He married and buried half the folks in that county. And he was the Sheriff’s chaplain for about 20 years.
        We will have to have a sit down sometime soon.

• MtTopPatriot says:

Work up above Whitesville, come down from Nicholas

• Sandman says:

Phoenix,

What is not widely advertised for obvious OpSec and PerSec reasons is that MANY of these groups are already in touch, cross-train and communicate NOW. And have been doing so for years. I wont publish a list but rest assured that many Patriot groups are coordinating right now. The other factions you mention, NSM, etc have been quietly losing members for decades in this region. They are a dying breed. Still dangerous but tertiary in importance after Fed OpFor and FSA.

28. CAPatriot says:

Anybody know if the PA Militia is still active in the area indicated on the map? There was not a great deal of activity on their forum. Anywhere on the net where we can find other people in these areas?

• Sandman says:

CAP,

Send an email to the address linked in my sig, I will put you in touch with active folks in PA. From there it’s up to you. Some travel may be involved.

29. Kerodin says:

Max and J.C. drew the short straws. If you draw a line down the middle of the mountains dividing eastern from western slopes, then look at the portion of the survey map where Max and J.C. are located, they inherit a piece of real estate that will earn contact with OpFor as long as OpFor remains on its feet.

While most of the republic is well removed from major metro (especially those Patriots on the western slope) if OpFor decides that DC is a Green Zone, they are going to demand I-66 stays in their pocket. Not only is it THE primary supply route between DC and the republic, it is also THE backdoor into DC (Literally fewer than 90 miles from 81 in the Redoubt to the US Capitol, all on one road).

Just 20 miles west of DC you start hitting good, rich farmland. Both sides of 66 is also home to a large Brain Trust loyal to and dependent on OpFor. So, Max and J.C. will probably have a target rich environment, constantly, all over the Front Royal, Winchester area and at Frederick moving westerly along 70 and 68 (Fort Detrick is in Frederick – much badness at Detrick). They will also be hunted pretty hard by OpFor.

Zooming out to the macro level, an Appalachian Republic that denies OpFor passage through the mountains and makes them go around, whether north or south, and denies them I-81, is a huge boon to the rest of the country.

The point: Whether you call this area home or not, Patriots from all over the midsection of the country (from the western edge of the new republic to at least the Mississippi) should expect to do work to help support the republic, because they will be serving in many ways as the “front lines”, a buffer against the filth that inhabits the major metros of the eastern seaboard.

• Malgus says:

Kerodin

After I had left my post, I sat for a good half hour pondering the situation. Your assessment is pretty darn good. Eastern slope folks will have a tough time of it, simply because of their proximity to Mordor. And Sauron and his minions will be loathe to let such a valuable resource as the coal fields go without a word…

That means us folks on the Western slope, and just beyond, have to do what we can for them. Most folks around here grow what will make them the most money, or raise livestock (mostly cattle). That will have to change. Folks will need to eat, and this land is prime for growing corn, veggies, etc. Higher elevations means cold, and most folks don’t know that the App. Mountains is actually a rainforest that pretty much makes its own weather… I run sheep and we harvest the wool and sell it to a processor or to the artisans in Berea. At least some folks up in those mountains can expect some wool coming their way if I have anything to say about it…

To supply the folks on the Eastern Slope would take some doin, but it’s not impossible. Of course, there’s gonna be Injun Country between us and them… to figure otherwise would be foolish.

One of the commenters said some mess about making and trading meth… that’s just plain idiotic.

Now, making and trading shine? That’s different. Ethanol (aka sippin whiskey) has many different uses other than the obvious. Medicine. Disinfectant. Money. Fuel. Sterilization. De-greaser. More.. of course, I’m talking about the good stuff – corn squeezins. Sugar liquor, I don’t think will be around much, as sugar will be too danged valuable to be made into liquor. Unless someone starts growing sugar beets (man, I hate beets… bleah).

And weed? Never touched the stuff, but I recognize it’s value as a medicinal… and somehow I don’t think what you all refer to as OpFor will allow regularly scheduled medical deliveries without interference… which means you gotta run what ya brung.

But meth? Downright stupid and unrealistic to boot.. if things go pear shaped, where in the world will someone find the precursor chemicals to make the stuff, even if they wanted to? The Mexicans mix up the precursors in huge vats, but I don’t think we do… and even if we did, I wouldn’t know where to start looking…

Nope, best just leave those with a death wish to mess with that garbage… keep the proles placated, plastered and sick with intoxicants so they can’t resist.

• Kerodin says:

Your mention of coal hits a strategic consideration – most of the DC Metro (All of DC Proper and all of the important Maryland suburbs) get their electricity from PEPCO – which is a coal-fired plant.

In addition, a couple of gas pipelines run right through the new republic that provide natural gas to millions of DC/NoVa/Maryland homes for heat and hot water and cooking.

Be sure you guys factor in just how much pushback you might get from the DC Green Zone to keep those supply lines open.

K

• We got it, just send re-enforcements. The Orcs in Mordor will be on the move for sure

30. Shotgun says:

Folks, you might have one major problem there if the grid goes down in the county or most of it; here is the link from a great article from โ€œViews from Liberty Hollowโ€. All the storage rod ponds with no fresh water for cooling them are going to be bad news.

Depending where you live down wind from the Nuke plants, could pose a real problem for planting and having animals. I am looking at my neck of the woods and it may force me to me south if it happens.
    I am just saying to look at all the problems that may arise when the SHTF.

Shotgun

This issue is mostly misunderstood and over exaggerated. I am bringing in an expert to comment/do a guest post. I am not worried about this. Yes that is a broad statement without justification, which I why it will be followed up.

• Pericles says:

I expect you expert will tell you that nuke plants do not supply their own power, they rely on a functioning grid to operate, and have max 30 days reserve of generator fuel on hand.

Most likely. That is known. I am sure he has more to add. Do you know better?

• Anon says:

Pericles, I am the person, Max referred to.

Your point is not completely w/o merit, the ponds DO exist,they DO contain exactly what you think they do, they DO rely on grid power and they DO melt down (to a point) when the grid goes BUT it will not have the effects you imagine on the region.

The thorough answer you deserve will take me at least an hour to write up and will be much less dangerous than most assessments in the activist media.

Am about to head out for a social engagement but will be back on later tonite and give you an accurate assessment of what will happen to affected populations in these areas.

respectfully,

Anon

Source: I have a quarter century experince in this field as a .gov a .mil and a .civ. Back as a .civ my company used to charge $300/hr to hire me out to Senior State and Fed decision makers to perform assessments of Rad/Chem impacts on areas, and populations.
          I would on occasion contradict a number of semi-experts in the .gov and .mil and be proven correct by events and/or additional million dollar studies.
          This is not to aggrandize myself just to benefit your assessment of the information.

• Pericles says:

Sorry – I got my response in the wrong place – it is further down. I view the main risk as intentional release of radiation as a blackmail scheme whele the site ends up being unprotected by a security force.

• Anon says:

Pericles,

It’s late but I’ll see if I can’t craft a coherent argument for you (Max if you see typos please feel free to correct)

a) Most of the things you described are correct. There is a nuance though. Because the US fails to remove used rods after a few years and store them in a repository such as Yucca mountain a great %age of the rods stored in pools are many years away from having been in a reactor.. As a result a much smaller fraction of them have the activity to undergo a meltdown.. This doesn’t fundamentally change the quality of the problem we are discussing but it changes the quantity a bit, and also lowers the average radioactive heat generating density of the total material.

b) If the worst case scenario comes true (and I believe most denizens of this website readily understand it might) and the cooling stops you will get a partial meltdown. For reasons that have to do with the age of most “rods” it will be partial not complete. I think we all understand this will NOT result in a nuclear explosion; but what about the Meltdown?

c) Incidentally some pools actually are located within the containment dome which will give them a ceramic reinforced heat resistant floor that will minimize melt through and penetration if it doesnt prevent it altogether.

d) Many pools however are located outside of the containment though and don’t posses those kind of floors. In the worst case scenario where the core melts through the floor of the building (which will likely happen only in a small number of cases), as it melts through it will become mixed with indigenous rock and lose cohesiveness, and in so doing lose desnity and lessen it’s ability to generate so much heat via decay that it stays melted.
          Eventually further melting will stop and the mass will slowly cool down. Keep in mind even in Chernobyl with near full meltdown, of the full core, in a much cheaper (ergo weaker) floor than we have, the corium stopped melting and came to a stop in movement as well.

e) Also recall that in Chernobyl the radioactivity came out via an explosion in the reactor core on top.. not the more mellow slow melt a pool rods collection water would likely encounter. So the condition that spread the radioactive materials in Chernobyl is the result of a steam explosion, which as the pool water slowly boils off in a (relatively) open system would be very unlikely to occur in our local systems.

f) As a result of the factors listed above I think you would find in the end that only a small %age of pool would experience full melt with significant release.

g) What if you live close to one of those? If you are downwind couldn’t you be in the Fallout zone? Didn’t they evacuate a few miles around Fukushimna?
          Yes to all that, but this is why it doesnt matter all that much.. All the published data and scary looking wind driven triangles of fallout are based on todays health physics standards by .gov agencies.
          In the typical vein of gov’t agencies no one wants to be responsible for anything bad.. So they calculated what the standards should be for safe exposure. They calculated those on the basis of people spend 24hrs of every day to receive maximum possible dose. Which of course is unrealistic and forced the safe number of exposure even lower….and then they arbitrarily divided them by a factor of ten.

h) On top of that what is the risk? the threshold they were trying to avoid is not the prevention of radiation sickness with its deleterious effects but to ensure that nearly no one will get “extra” cancer due to exposure. I think in a SHTF situation having an extra 50% chance of getting canser will be the least of everyone’s worries. Likely very very few people in a TEOTWAWKI situation will ever get old enough to experience the kind of cancers that now plague our old age.

i) On top of that the basis of all these calculations are flawed, since it subscribes to the linear no threshold model. This model holds that not matter how small the exposure it will have SOME kind of bad effect on you. And this is patently false. human beings are adapted to a naturally radioactive environement and we posses repair enzymes in our DNA, that repairs damage done by radiation every second of every day of our lives. To keep it simple the Linear No Threshold Model ignores this ability of the body and in so doing adds a lot of effects that will not happen in the real world ot its safety models.

j) nearly everyone in the raditation safety/health physics community understands that the Linear No threshold model is wrong.. But everyone follows it.. Why? Well, why would radiation safety officers and health physicists de-empathize the dangers of the things they are guarding us from? ๐Ÿ˜‰

k) Remember: even at Chernobyl an accident MUCH MUCH worse than a pool melt would be, less than 50 people died and they were ALL at the reactor as emergency responders, working there again and again.

l) Using the standard methods described some predicted tens of thousands of extra cancer deaths (in belarus and Ukraine many folks still use affected fields).. but those deaths never happened.. Even more amazing, there are people living in the exclusion zone for quarter century with no deleterious effects anyone can detect with any certainty.

m) So in summary if you are manning the redoubt against a decaying regime in front of the backdrop of starvation and combat with regime forces, the chance that out of 1000 resistance fighters maybe two might get cancer at age 68 instead of 88 will be the least of your worries.

31. RJ says:

I live in the Wheeling, WV area and grew up here on the Ohio side. There is a plethora of tough, God-fearing, country-loving patriots with incredible skill-sets, be they ex-military, outdoorsmen, etc. The coal industry has staggered for about 40 years, but the mines that survived are doing well i.e. Murray, CONSOL, etc. CONSOL is seeing the light in the NG/LNG/oil boom of the Utica and Marcellus Shales. In Ohio, Carroll, Harrison, Belmont (where I live), Monroe Counties are booming now that the midstream infrastructure is getting in place. There are however huge amounts of welfare types that will sit and wait for FedGov to rescue them- when they don’t, it could get ugly. Fortunately, and not to sound judgmental, but they are not the sharpest tools at Lowes, and will be tactically incompetent at every level, although potentially dangerous for the situationally unaware or undiscerning. The hills are rugged, yet plenty of pastures as well for food production. I am sure the criminal elements- be they the Anglo types or the gangs of the inner city, will initially see WROL as a sort of bonanza, but because of types of people I know- good, moral, very capable people, will, when the time comes, make short work of them. The very law that tends to allow the sociopaths to persist will also not be protected by the very screwed up legal system- they will be met with extreme VOA. I too agree with many posters re the redoubt in the NW- concentrating in such ways is putting fish in a barrel for drones or yard farming. In Appalachia, it is rural enough, but mixed in such ways that, when applying the gray man principles will enhance survivability immensely.

• Pericles says:

I agree with all that you have written. I would add two points for consideration:
      (1) As a planning assumption if given the option of being upwind or downwind, be upwind as (2) the design has safety built in to contain dangerous amounts of radiation under all foreseeable circumstances.

What about the unforeseeable circumstances? The assumption here is that there is no breach of the containment vessel – and that depends on a stable environment and assumes no intentional destruction being visited on the facility. If you assume a general breakdown of society – any group of odd ducks may decide there is value in controlling something that is lethal and can be used to make a threat.

• Anon says:

Pericles,

The beginning of my argument was mostly about framing the size of the problem in terms of release.

but I think an important point is how even a relatively large release affects, (or doesnt affect) human beings and our food supply.

The primary threat to humans by non acute doses ( which is what you would get unless you were right there) is via increased incidences of cancer.

Cancer is a disease that (usually) takes decades.

The same kind of conditions that will kill the grid will also kill the food supply.

Starvation will be a much greater threat to people health and well being and the slightly greater chance of cancer 30 yrs down the road.

respectfully.

Anon

• ApoloDoc says:

Very well written. Nice to have an informed, non-hysterical view. Come to think of it, this writing reminds me of a guy I met a while back ๐Ÿ˜‰

As I mentioned above, the Cumberland Plateau has a number of advantages, but there are TVA nuke plants within striking distance. The risk from the reactors and spent fuel seems overstated much of the time, so the above post was good confirmation.

32. John Cavanaugh says:

I live near Scranton,in the NEPA.Pretty much astride I-81/I-84 intersect.Handy loc.

33. John Cavanaugh says:

Sandman,can you forward same info as CAP to me?
    jtcava@hushmail.com
    TY

34. SCOTT CAMPANARO says:

We (Appalachians) either control the resources or the logistical tail of resources… Water, Food, and Generating Power… and it only runs for as long as we choose not to shut it down.

35. Sandman, I also would like to connect to Patriots in my area (Altoona, Penna.) if you could direct me that would be helpful.

36. downeast hillbilly says:

Home is Alexander, Yancey and Transylvania Counties of NC, but I’ll stand my ground in the to the swamps of the coastal plain. Few major transport routes, lots of choke points. You can project a small force over a large area. Drop down the back side of the ridge and cut a bridge or two. Cut off isolated units, shut off access to refuge areas. You don’t have to hold this ground, just make the b*stards pay in blood for every step, then disappear.

37. Culper says:

Fellas – Why don’t we work on compiling a list of Intelligence Requirements (IR) to start? There’s really an insurmountable amount of data that needs to be collected.

We ought to divide the IRs into Strategic (all of us), Operational (region-dependent), and Tactical (individual-specific). If Max will have me, then I can operate as the G2 with help from those who also want to participate.

Culper

38. John Cavanaugh says:

>Sandman…thank you

39. John Cavanaugh says:

Anyone for compiling local pd assets?

40. Brian from Georgia says:

This is a good blog entry with great discussion. It reiterates the need for a forum. Yeah, yeah, I know Max, you’re working on it:)

• F says:

We will take the best blog contribution and use them either as articles or as “seedstock” for threads on the forum ๐Ÿ™‚

41. Sandman says:

To the folks who asked about active Militias in PA, I have put the word out and am waiting on replies. Scott, do you have a contact email off of facebook? If so send to ohiovalleyminutemen@hushmail.com. or post here if you prefer.

You should all be contacted by me or someone with a PA Militia in a day or two.

42. Sandman says:

John Cavanaugh, CAPatriot and Scott Campanaro *** contact will be made by locals in PA, follow up with them.***

43. B Woodman says:

Max,
    Speaking of fusion centers, what can be done about neutralizing them? Not necessarily meaning destroying, but making ineffective. I live near the one in Utah.

• Culper says:

If they’re searching for the proverbial needle in the hay stack, then you have to a) make the hay stack bigger, or b) fill it with the wrong needles. Or both.

44. william jackson says:

they didnt use tanks at ruby ridge.am moving into north carolina puttin a mountain at my back even if i got to live in a campground.its more about the weather then anything small wood fire for the cold days 30 pound propane tanks for heatin water cookin last along time.appears to be plenty of spring water.looks like a man could walk forever to the front american born

45. John Cavanaugh says:

>Sandman.Contact’s email box is full,cannot send pertinent info to same.TY

46. NW Georgia Native says:

Too many nuclear power plants built all up and down the Appalacians. Grid down scenario would not play out well.
    Bugged out to Ozarks

There is a detailed expert comment in here that you are missing Re: nuke power plants.

47. […] I have been busy for the past few months and so I read the patriot blogs as I get time. ย Today at lunch I had some time so I started reading and stumbled into the Appalachian Redoubt. ย And it really peaked my interest, you can read it at Max Velocity – Appalachian Redoubt. […]

48. Clay Potts says:

How come Mississippi gets left out of all these great ideas. The Pontotoc Ridge which runs from N.E. to S.W. across central northern Mississippi is considered part of the Appalachians. Let us in!

49. Rikker says:

I love it, Lets make this happen. Any plans on setting up a Leadership council to organize this?

50. John A says:

Living on the eastern edge of this (Albemarle county, VA), there’s a phrase that I’m sure is used throughout:

A “come-here”. That means you weren’t born here. There’s a lot of families who can trace back to settling the area, and you should be friendly with or even connected (or married into) one of them. I’d conjecture it’s something to do with the Scottish heritage in the area. Regardless, my son was 3 months old when we moved here, and he’ll still be called a “come-here”.

Wife and I are both native Texans, but I didn’t grow up there (grew up in Eastern VA), so that gives us a little bit of “not yankee” credibility.

I don’t know much outside of Virginia, but the area from Lexington up through Leesburg/Loudoun Co is pretty heavy horse country. A lot of eventing/hunter jumper, but also some people still working draft teams, which would be quite valuable in a grid down scenario.

51. […] you have the Appalachian Redoubt.ย  This would be a better choice than staying in New England for those of you who wished to stay […]