DEC 14/15 CRCD Photos – Snowmageddon!

Out in the Woods
December 12, 2013
AAR #1: CRCD 14/15 Dec 2013 – F
December 18, 2013

It turned out to be a great weekend, despite some challenges getting everyone up to the site on the Saturday morning. Here are some far from professional photos, to give you a flavor, taken on phones. We can, and will, train in bad weather!

As usual, a great group, several of whom were returning students.

Above: Group Photo, Range 1. 9 students on this class. I’m in the middle.  One is taking the photo!

Above: The schoolhouse. Warming burn barrel to the right.

rtr 1

Above: Range 2. Arctic Walk. RTR drill.

rtr 4

Above. Range 2. Arctic Walk. RTR drill. Prone would be better, but kneeling was permitted due to the conditions.

rtr 2

Above: Range 2. Arctic Walk. RTR drill. Straight to kneeling this time.

rtr 3

Above. Range 2. Arctic Walk. RTR drill. Next part after moving positions.

rifle rack

Above: Rifle Rack. Looking up towards Range 1.

bunker blown

Above: ENDEX. Range 2. Bunker Blown. After completing the squad assault. Assault fire team getting up off the objective bunker.

walking back

Above: Heading back down after the bunker assault. Happy days.

For more information on the RTR drills, check out this post: React to Contact: Solid Drills to Keep You Alive.

Live Hard.

Die Free.

1. FiremanEd says:

So, is that a precurser for the Patrol Class next month?

Looks like everyone came prepared and performed as usual. Tough but realistic training. Great job guys!!

2. SP says:

What were you using for the “bunker blown”?

Usually – a Rock!
      This time, smoke!

The grenadier crawls up, posts the ‘grenade’, then crawls up after it ‘goes off’ and clears the bunker with rapid fire. The assault and close support pairs then maneuver onto the position in order to suppress the depth bunker. On CRCD I call it after the first bunker is destroyed – I don’t send the fire support team through to the depth bunker. We just talk about actions after that.

• SP says:

Dunno whether you’ve heard of these things, but you can get reusable non-pyro based CO2 powered frag grenade simulators (roughly 140+ db output) that look pretty much like real grenades – fly off levers, spoons ect. They work off a simple 12g CO2 cartridge and replaceable outer shell, so they are incredibly cheap to use. The initial outlay to buy a pack of Thunder B’s are so-so, but other than that, they work out fairly reasonable.

Not sure where you’d get them in the States though I do know a lot of airsoft type shops stock them. Or failing that, get them at trade direct from Hakkotsu.

I’ve got a copy of their trade price list if you’re interested 😉

There’s also a proper pyro based grenade that I think is available in the States called TLSFX Gen 3. Look and operate just like the real thing though they are not reusable and can be a bit pricey.

Pretty sure they have a US stockist.

Looked at the airsoft CO2 grenades. Gay. Feeble. But yes, the shape of them is better than a rock! Liked the smoke – no detonation but good effect of smoked bunker, more like WP.

• Mt Top Patriot says:

Hey you guys this was a fantastic experience assaulting a complex of bunkers.
      Max combined many elements of RTR he trained us in. Working with brothers in arms with the leadership of Max is sublime.
      Being involved with like minded patriots, the teamwork of working shoulder to shoulder with others, learning how to conduct combat operations, Max’s amazing grasp and ability to convey and intensively train each of us, as buddy pairs, and as larger elements, how to use movement and fire, using terrain, cover and reaction, all in concert, to become effective warriors defies words.
      I can not stress the importance and the knowledge gained enough having Max teach these absolutely essential combat skills.
      One thing that becomes evident, all the gear in the world can not substitute proper real world training you will receive in these classes.
      What you learn is the basis of all combat, yet even more valuable you learn the nuts and bolts of surviving and winning.

Get this training under your belt.
      You meet great fellow American’s.
      Max is a gracious serious gentleman, a man made of the right stuff.
      I feel honored and humbled to have had the opportunity to learn these critical skills in the company of such fellow Patriots.

3. Mat says:

Well done, gentlemen.

4. F says:

Great Pics and good times!

I wont lie it was hard and freezing work with icearmor forming our pant legs but in the end it felt good to hone our tactical skillset together!
    And the extreme weather added a lot of realism and atmosphere.

A Fantastic group of guys whose combined level of professional accomplishments makes a mockery of the mainstream media’s depiction of “gun nuts”! : )

You guys are hard corps. Winter warfare training is as much about fighting the elements as it is the enemy.

Any AAR’s including effects on weapons, equipment, and clothing greatly appreciated.

Had a CO who cross-trained with the Royal Marines up in Norway, and it damn-near did him in.

• F says:

when I write my AAR tonite, I’ll be sure to include gear comments for this environment.

• Submariner says:

Comments on which fabrics worked best for jackets/smocks and trousers would be appreciated as well.

I’m wearing my Arktis B210 windproof smock. Excellent. I am wearing long thermal underwear and BDU pants. T-shirt over the thermal top, then a Norwegian army shirt. With a smock on top of that, hat and gloves, I was good to go in the freezing temperatures.
          Tip – bring more than one pair of gloves. Have a waterproof set if possible. If it went into overnight, wet gloves will freeze up.
          If I was doing more crawling and less safety, waterproof outer pants would be useful to keep the the wet snow off and prevent freeze up.

This in from Arktis: “Our first stocking order of B110 Smocks arrived. We have M-XXL in Coyote, M-XL in OG and XXL in DPM. $169.95 shipped CONUS. Next will be DPM and Multicam in about a month.”
            The B110 is the basic windproof version without the additional lining of the B210 or the waterproof lining of the B310. I’m getting one when the DPM and multicam stock arrives in about a month.

• D Close says:

I used a hooded Goretex shell by Blackhawk. Layered underneath with a fleece liner, a combat shirt and a base layer of merino wool head to toe, during the first day. Very comfortable. On my feet I had one pair of Bates tactical socks and Asolo boots. Had some polyester neoprene type gloves and those proved inadequate. The Alta knee pads actually worked out well and helped keep my trousers dry. I’d buy some good hunting gloves instead. The balaclava was excellent with the jacket hood or without. I wore my ear pro underneath. Make the investment in the wool base layer. I could have easily wore it again on the second day too.

6. John says:

Looks like it was a great class. I really like the challenge of training in adverse/less than optimal weather conditions.

7. Chuck says:

One word for operating in snowy conditions that will help save your feet: gaiters.

More specifically, Outdoor Research Crocodiles. I’ve had the same set for over ten years and they are still going strong. Granted, in the mid-Atlantic where I live, some years they never see the light of day, but they are an awesome piece of gear and have held up magnificently.

8. pat says:

Just talked to the guys at Arktisusa. Very helpful and polite. He explained that their wind layer and water proof layers are breathable and do not add to thermal insulating. Unless during extreme physical activity. The waterproof layer will add some heat if really working. He said the main differences between the 110, 210, & 310 is the amount of time needed to dry it out. He said most guys doing long range patrolling do a 110 or 210 with a Rain Shield in the pocket. Folds up to about a softball size. He also said that availability can be checked at their ebay store. It stays up to date. Personal orders can be made there or from them directly. Hope this helps.

9. Bergmann says:

Up here in Alaska I dont use gloves that claim to be water proof. Its been my experience that most are not and will get wet in the snow, even in the dry snow you find in the 20s and colder. They are generally large and impossible to work in w/o constantly removing them. When they do get wet they are impossible to dry out w/o long term applicable conditions that favor drying.

I use old school wool liners and I carry multiple sets. Some with and w/o the fingers cut off. If they get wet they will generally still stay warm if you’re active. When they get wet you can ring them out until they’re near dry and shove them in a pocket or inside your smock to dry out and put on a new set. They also tolerate drying by the fire side much better then modern materials. Rotation is the key for the long term. I generally carry 2 sets of wool mittens to use in the same way. Being that its all wool you get a very durable and easy to maintain hand garment and you’ll never be w/o is you carry a few sets. They take up little room and weigh nothing.

Old school OD wool liners are ambidextrous. When working with liners to build shelters or other tasks i found that I can simply flip the wool liner over when they get wet and unmanageable. The wet side palm and fingers will be on the top and dry as you work. Once they have dried and the other side gets wet just flip them over and keep going..

I have used wool liners down to 15 below w/o issues..

I keep the boxing glove like Arctic mittens on a dummy cord around my neck to shove my hands into when to warm them up if needed. Seldom, if i have ever use them as a constant and generally these mitten go unused…

Alaska USA

10. Tater in SC says:

Working on my AAR now. Having been 3 times now, I think I may actually have something worth adding. Previously I was hesitant to submit an AAR because I was, and still am, such a newbie to the whole tactical training thing.

FYI. I just commented on a repost of this article over at From the Trenches World Report. Already, several have apparently chimed in with the usual excuses for not getting their 400lb (or 28.5714 stone for you Limey bastards :-)) a#$ out from behind the keyboard and actually DOING something to be ready for the upcoming Liberty Games.

F, (Doc & Dave also) great to see you again my friend. Shoot me an email sometime.

Tater, out.

• F says:

I got to get better about this but I cant find the piece of paper you gave me w/ your email..

Max can u send me his or resend him mine? Thanks! : )

11. Arktis USA says:

Thanks Max and Pat for sharing in info on our B110/210/310. We are indeed working hard to get more stock of B110 and B210. More DPM and Multi will be arriving next month.

Arktis USA

12. […] Here are some pics from the training : ) Tactical Training by Max Velocity | DEC 14/15 CRCD Photos – Snowmageddon! – Tactical Training by Max… […]

13. […] out the comments section on my recent snowmaggedon post over at FTWR: […]

14. […] after participating in Snowmageddon CRCD class (Dec 14/15). This was my favorite class of last 30 years. I have no military experience […]