VIDEO series: ‘The Paras’

VIDEO: Interest: Urban Combat
November 26, 2013
DEC 14/15 Combat Rifle / Contact Drills (CRCD) Class
December 1, 2013

Just for interest, while we are discussing ‘old school’, this TV series came out in the UK in 1983. It is about Para recruits going through basic training:

This is so old school, I doubt a tacticoolie would be able to bear to watch it!

(You may actually learn something, for the fieldcraft parts!)

Episode 6 for some live firing. CRCD Alumni: Look familiar?! 😉

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

Part 4:

Part 5:

Part 6:

Part 7:

Live Hard.

Die Free.

1. SP says:

Part 6: I say, those DS were being awfully nice with those recruits……

2. BD says:

Man, that Part 6 does bring back memories.

I did notice that the instructors are mad – running in front of the recruits on live fire drills. I don’t think you’ll be taking up that method, eh Max?

3. Spearhead1987 says:

Wife and I watched entire series tonight. Both of us US Army vets and students of Brit military history and operations. Not airborne myself (Armor) wife (JAG) but really enjoyed this and learned much. US viewers may have some issues understanding their English!

Brought back memories of my training and you could see where Max is coming from on the 1-2 man drills.

I really liked the one training technique where the two soldiers approached each other using cover/concealment then firing a blank and talking instructor to location of target. This was a low key, low tech, inexpensive technique, but easy to do and could offer many learning points.

Also met General Sir Anthony Farrar-Hockley Para commander interviewed in the series. He went on to be NATO Commander Allied Forces Northern Europe. Came here in early 90’s to give a presentation on the 1916 Battle of the Somme at a WW1 seminar that wife set up for the Western Front Association. Hockley was captured and tortured by North Koreans/Chinese – his book, The Edge of the Sword, details that experience and is well worth reading.

4. JohnyMac says:

Good video’s Max. Thanks for posting them.

As Spearhead1987 referenced, you really had to pay attention in order to understand what the recruits and instructors were saying.

My father came over to the states in ’51 from Scotland. He was promptly drafted into the US Army in ’52. He always commented on his drill Sergeants poor grasp of the English language.

Good stuff!

5. frenchie262 says:

The videos were very interesting and entertaining. This was around my era and the barracks life was similar to mine and brung back memories.

Thanks again

6. F says:

In film 6 the accent now makes me feel right at home as do the targets 😀

7. Tom S says:

The Sword and the Shield The Mitrokhin Archive and the secret history of the KGB by Christopher Andrew and Vasili Mitrokhin;
    KGB The Inside Story by Christopher Andrew and Oleg Gordievsky
    Bringing Down America An FBI informant with the weathermen by Larry Grathwohl as told to Frank Reagan.
    Red Cocaine by Joseph D.Douglass.
    A Rifleman Went to War By H.W.McBride
    The Emma Gees By H.W.McBride
    Force Recon Command A Special Marine Unit In Vietnam,1969-1970 by Lt.Col.Alex Lee,USMC (RET)
    Classics of Sea Power By Makarov, Discussions of Questions in Naval Tactics…Naval Institute Press
    Classics of Sea Power by Castex. Strategic Theories…Naval Institute Press

It’s all in History Old School Rules

8. Bergmann says:

I regularly use Pattern 58 webbing in some form or another and a PLCE vest for my survival needs up here in Alaska. For me, they just work for survival training and tasks. The British PLCE Bergen has been the best one I have ever used being of a very simple basic design. Its fits me well and I have found nothing I would replace it with and I have tried since its reaching the end of its service line. It all just works with not much on it to bust or rip. I like to say the British do more with less when it comes to designing gear..

Bergmann, Alaska USA

9. […] Here is the link to a previous post with the Paras TV series from 1983, including some good training (episode 6 for some live firing): VIDEO series: ‘The Paras’ […]