Realistic Rucking

Training Video: How Not to be Seen – a lighter note
September 27, 2013
VIDEO: 3 PARA – Back to Basics
September 30, 2013

I’ve seen some stuff around and about recently about rucking. I remember back in the day when I could ruck twenty miles carrying 150lbs in about an hour. Ooops – Bullsh*t Alert!

Let’s take a realistic look at rucking. I did do an article not so long ago about extreme rucking on UKSF selection – HERE – but remember this is an extreme event designed to select and is not to be taken as a way of training or a standard to aspire to.
Let’s think about a couple of factors. I am now forty years old. I used to think I was luckier than some by getting out of the British Army without destroying my knees, but more recently I have suffered for it, it appears to be catching up. A lot of you out there are older, looking for ways to protect your families in SHTF. You are not of the age where you might be joining the army for the first time. You may be aged anywhere from your 30’s to 70’s. This means you may already have injuries and it is not a time to start destroying your knees or back.
The flip side of that is that you may never have done activity that would perhaps have caused overuse injury, but you may have gone the other way and destroyed your body by inactivity and fatness. That is also something that you need to try and fix while you can.
Why would we consider needing to train by rucking? Because we plan to carry arms and operate in the way of a light infantry soldier when SHTF arrives. That will entail the carriage of at least a basic fighting load of weapons, ammo and equipment. We may have to patrol, move or bug-out over varied terrain carrying fighting and sustainment loads. We may have to escape an enemy force while carrying our gear. So, there is a reason for it, and the more conditioned you are the better you will be able to cope, the more alert you will be, and thus the more chance of survival you will have.
I used to ruck for a living. We used to call  it ‘tabbing’, or being on a ‘tab’. The Royal Marines call it ‘yomping’. Tabbing with fighting and sustainment loads was part of the selection into and the role performed during my time in the British Army. One of the things to immediately point out is that the athletic selection and conditioning events that you see and hear about are simply that. They are standards and conditioning events. They are not what you do when you go into the field or on operations. But, the fitter you are the better you will be able to cope on operations.
For example, part of the selection standard on ‘Pegasus (or ‘P’) Company, passing which is a requirement to attend parachute training in the British Army, is the ’10-miler’. There are other tabs with varying distance and weight to pass as part of the course. However, the 10-miler is historic because it came about following the jump into Arnhem in 1944 as part of operation ‘market-garden’ (of the movie ‘A Bridge Too Far’). The paras had to rapidly move 10 miles from the drop zone to the bridge. The standard for the 10-miler is 35lbs, water and rifle, over hilly terrain, in 1 hour 50 minutes. This is an 11 minute mile pace.
It has to be understood that this is a hard event on its own. To make this time, you have to run on the downhills and ‘tab it out’ on the flat and uphill. The technique is to take the longest strides possible, swinging the arms or rifle out to the side, almost like speed walking. If you are not conditioned, it can hurt the muscles on the front of the lower legs (shins), cramping them up. When you are ‘double timing’ it you are either shuffle-running or outright running downhill to make up time. When you are marching (‘tabbing’) you are not allowed to run, to shuffle, because it causes the squad to concertina and makes it really hard on those at the back – but you can run to catch up if you fall off the back of the squad.
Here is a video of troops on P Company doing the 10-miler:
Note: Green shirts = enlisted/recruits. Red = NCO. White = Officer (who have to stay at the back where it’s harder).
The standard for the British Army overall is (was?) the CFT (Combat Fitness Test) which is 8 miles, 55lbs, water, rifle and helmet in 2 hours. This is a 15 minute mile pace. This is also achieved by ‘tabbing’ and shuffling downhill.
You have to realize that by doing this you are putting a lot of stress on your knees and other joints, including your back. This is not hiking. 15 minute miles is a 4mph pace which is actually pretty fast and most hikers will not sustain that over hilly terrain. As I mention in the SAS rucking article linked at the top, the required pace on UKSF selection is set at 4kmph as the crow flies (checkpoint to checkpoint). When you hike downhill, your knees take 8 x more mechanical stress of your bodyweight. Imagine that with a heavy ruck and running. There is a lot of stress there.
When I was training to go on UKSF selection, I had learned of the danger of overuse injury. I used to run one day, and go on a long cycle ride the next. I would then take time out to go up into the hills and hike. The cycling and the hiking are excellent endurance conditioning for carrying a pack over the hills. When I would hike, I would not ‘tab’ – I would not run downhill. I would just walk all day over the mountains.
Prior to going on selection, I attended a short prep course run at one of the Para Battalions. They took us out for a tab. It was very interesting, because the concept of the PTI who was running the training was that we would not tab conventionally. Conventional tabbing, walking uphill and running down, is the best way to efficiently get from A to B. But it potentially injures you, and overuse injuries are not good before turning up at selection. So, he had us running UP the hills and walking DOWN. Really hard work, but less stress on the joints.
It is apparent that you need to do some conditioning for rucking. But if you do you must balance that out with exercise that is non-weight bearing. If you run and ruck too much you are headed for injury. So, run a day, ruck a day, then do other stuff like swimming, cycling, rowing. Good hard cardio exercise that reduces the stress on the joints.
Pace: as already shown, some of the paces you see are not realistic unless you are prepared to run and bust a gut to achieve the sort of time quoted. A 15 minute mile pace with a heavy ruck is still achieved only by fast ‘tabbing’ and some running downhill. If I were you, training for SHTF, I would not concentrate on the speed. I would simply concentrate on ‘hiking’. Just being able to carry the ruck for decent distances over hilly terrain. After all, once we move away from the conditioning events, that is what we are actually training for, right? Carrying the ruck on a bug-out or a patrol. I don’t mean dawdle and pick flowers, but I mean set a good hiking pace and just sustain it, taking water breaks every now and then.
Granted, you may have to do a ‘two miler’ when you have to run with your fighting load to relieve another unit in heavy contact. But if you are overall fit, you will do it anyway. The best conditioning with a ruck comes from carrying that load up a hill, not running down it.
Ruck weight: I discussed this concept a little in this post about gear philosophy. You will be making a mistake if you plan to carry too much gear. Notice the weights that I have quoted for the conditioning events above: 35 to 55lbs, no more. UKSF selection weight is 55lb plus food, water and rifle. Even once you have conditioned yourself to carry basic loads by starting off light, I would not recommend that you go beyond 35-40lb for your regular ruck weight that you train with. Yes, that is mostly for those who want to actually tab and get those 10-miler standards that I quoted above, but simply carrying a very heavy ruck has limited utility.
In the Para Battalions, the standard ruck weight for a Friday morning routine 10-miler was 35lbs. That is sufficient. Once in a while, mainly in Support Company, we would do ‘heavy carries’. This meant much heavier loads, mainly achieved by going out and doing the 10-miler carrying the battalion support weapons on top of the 35lb weight. So, support machine guns, mortars, MILAN anti-armor weapons. Carried on top of rucks and shoulders. This was done very much at a walk. The purpose here was to condition troops whose job it was to carry that equipment dismounted. If you are not ever going to do that, why ever ruck with more than 55lbs? Last time I was doing my own ruck training I was carrying 40lbs and I was running the downhills, but I was training for an event.
My point is this: don’t set unrealistic goals and don’t head for overuse injury. It is not so important to listen to what people said they did “back in the day,” but better to worry about what is right for you now. Don’t try and carry too much weight in your ruck, and don’t try too much running downhill to make up pace time. You mostly won’t be doing that when carrying a ruck SHTF anyway, because you will be in a tactical environment. So, get the cardio and muscular system ready to tolerate the load, without breaking yourself doing it.
Live Hard,  Die Free.
MV

1. Chuck says:

One of the most sensible articles I’ve read on this subject yet. Thanks for injecting a bit of common sense into the discussion, Max.

2. daybreak1199 says:

Not having time to get out and hump over terrain is a something I try to compensate for by utilizing a 40 pound weight vest and carry a 5 pound dumbbell in each hand. I have found that utilizing the tread mill elevated to approximately 5 to 7 percent helps simulate a more “real world” hiking experience.

Holding the dumbbells or a weighted bar (approximately 10 pounds) helps me simulate carrying a weapons system. Funny side note… I recently called the local Police Precinct and asked about their view of me training in full kit for an upcoming race,( Mogadishu Mile 5 K OCT 5th…Proceeds are donated to the Special Operations Warrior Foundation…You can register and run remote in your area!) So, the Police informed me that running with a plate carrier and small backpack would probably end with me being detained at gunpoint due to how out of the norm it would appear. This leaves me to using the weight vest and dumbbells in to simulate full kit. I haven’t decided yet if I will wear the PC and backpack for the day of the race.

I’ve also found that utilizing an elliptical machine with the resistance set very high, while wearing the weight vest helps simulate some of “real world” training while limiting the impact from shuffle jogging.

• Anonymous says:

Daybreak1199,
      Unfortunately we live in an era where anyone by LE openly carrying any firearm in public can get you to room temperature or jail real quick. I’ll be working out that dilemma here in the flat land of the deep southeast as soon as I the kit I ordered. In the meantime, Good Luck on the Marathon Ruck, I hope you achieve the goal.

Semper Vigilans
      Mark, CFI

3. Anonymous says:

DAMN! OK, I am 55 years old, weight 250 lbs. Having said that I have a 40 inch waist, 52 inch chest, and 20 inch arms. Could I loose some weight, oh yea and am working on it. Here’s the point I do squats with 200lbs for 15 reps as well as other exercises in an effort to build endurance. In addition I play racquetball, jog a bit, and run a few sprints just to keep it interesting.

Having just read this post and never rucked anywhere, injuries kept me out of the military, I decided to load up the pack with about 40 lbs and take a quick 1 mile hike. I mean after all, how bad could it be right? OUCH, that was a slap in the head. I made it in 14min and 29 seconds but with calves feeling like someone poured gasoline on them and then lit them with a blow torch.

Alright Max, point taken and this will now be part of my routine until I can do 2 miles in 25 minutes or less.

Best Regards,

Mark (AGNI)

I was trying to counsel caution, not challenge you!
      However: the 2 miler standard with 35lbs plus rifle is under 18 minutes. I used to do it in 14 and change, over undulating (but not fully hilly) terrain. But to do that, you have to just full out run it. In fact, 14 minutes for 2 miles is a respectable time for a soldier running the 2 mile run as part of the APFT.

• Anonymous says:

Max,

To honest, I NEEDED the challenge or the wake up call, if you will. In fact I am still laughing about the aftermath as someone who has a better grasp, as much as possible anyway, as to that particular reality of rucking and some of gaps in my training efforts.

As always, thanks and keep it coming.

Regards,

Mark (AGSI)

4. LFMayor says:

Max, just to clarify about the weights you’re listing. 55lbs, is this including ruck, plate carrier and warbelt (all 3 tiers)?

Keep up the good work sir, hope to see you in Feb.

That’s just weight for a ruck, but not carrying any other gear. Just a training ruck, or going hiking.
      Yes I can see that depending on what you carry, an actual full combat load may take you up to 70lbs, including your PC/belt/vest or whatever you use, and an assault pack/medium ruck. But, you should be able to handle that if you conditioned yourself without breaking your knees and back.

5. Anonymous says:

Just to add my £0.02 and a bit long.

Training for my first Afghan tour in ’08, we would carry realistic weight (or so we all thought) in our bergens, usually around 60lb+ excluding weight of weapon/helmet/body armour over 8-10 miles around the Catterick training area (hills galore but not like Wales, thank God). There was no webbing being worn on these tabs either. Just solid weight in a bergen. I was already the wrong side of 30 by that stage and although could easily cruise CFT’s, I admit I found these tabs hard simply due to the sheer amount of weight. A lot of us, senior ranks included, could not understand the benefits of that sort of training as it did not reflect the realities of where we were going to be operating.

The first time we started carrying proper Afghan weight (which was far in excess of what we trained with) was when we arrived at Bastion, where we were issued our (old desert style pre MTP) osprey plate carriers. Whereas I found carrying 60lb+ in a bergen quite hard, I found carrying the higher Afghan weights easier as I was able to evenly spread the loads out around my osprey and my ECM patrol pack. On that tour we were all easily carrying in excess of 110lb+ (plate carrier/weapon/ammunition/ECM. I once weighed all my kit and it topped out at 128lb’s.

I was still blowing out my arse though…….just not as much.

By the time I started training for my second tour 3 years later there had been a big shift by the Army in training with weight. The new OFT (Operational Fitness Test) were in force. During the 9 months pre-deployment training my Battalion only did 3 or 4 CFT’s and I think only 2 PFT’s. Instead we simply concentrated on very long marches at a more realistic patrol pace carrying the exact kit we would be using in theatre, minus the ECM so bergens simply had breeze blocks thrown in! Whilst still hard, it was more realistic and as such, more beneficial.

This is what ArmyNet published regarding OFT’s. Thought Max might find this interesting:

The test is done in Combats wearing the Helmet (and for 2-6 CBA/Osprey if available (included in the weight)). 2-6 require you to carry the weapon in the Patrol position.

OFT 1 – 3 miles. 1.5 squadded in 18 mins, 1.5 best effort under 15 mins. Weight 15kg Total. (Wpn not required).
    OFT 2 – 2 miles. .5 squadded in 7.5 mins, 1.5 best effort under 15 mins. Weight 20 kg (CEFO & Wpn).
    OFT 3 – 3 miles. 3 miles squadded no less than 38.5 mins, no more than 39 mins. Weight 25Kg (AO & Wpn).
    OFT 4 – 5 miles. 4 miles squadded in 68 mins, 1 mile squadded 12.5 – 13 mins. Weight 30kg (20kg for non-warry) CEMO & Wpn.
    OFT 5 – 10 miles. 5 hrs squadded. Weight 35kg (25 kg non-warry) CEMO & Wpn.
    OFT 6 – 24.8 miles. Day 1, 12.4 squadded under 3Hrs 30 mins. Weight 30kg (CEMO & Wpn).
    Day 2, 12.4 squadded under 3 hrs. Weight 20 kg (CEMO & Wpn).

Our OC, being the bastard that he was, decided to combine OFT 6 into 1 day. Everyone, including the bastard himself was in utter rag afterwards. I never even had time during a water break to take a piss, so I just pissed myself! Did that many times since whilst wading through wadi’s!

To add to the point of weight carrying: Carrying a dead weight on your shoulders is never a good idea, however with a bit of common sense and redistributing of weight, those otherwise heavy loads can become much more manageable. Selection of load bearing equipment is vital to effective carrying of weight.

Great input, and the updates on the OFT. Keep stuff like this coming please!
      There are 2.2 pounds in a kilo, for those wishing to convert load weights.
      I think your point about the load weight being distributed is great, and something I was trying to convey in a comment above when I was asked about whether the quoted 55lb weight was inclusive of load bearing gear, and of course I was just talking about a simple ruck. Once people move from the suggested hiking/rucking training to wearing their full gear, they will have that spread around the body, and thus distributed as you point out.
      Your comment does touch on a related topic though – that of the infantry load and the gross overloading of soldiers. Note that I am saying that people may be carrying 70lbs of gear when they have their full fighting load on plus assault pack they should try and avoid carrying more. Granted, they don’t have ECM to carry. To carry the kind of weight you suggest, 128lb, will slay most f they try and operate tactically – and tell me if I am not wrong, but it also slew you humping that round Helmand right?! And that is despite countless training exercises and tabs carrying it prior to deployment?

So there are some really good points there –
      1) Train realistically in a more patrolling/hiking fashion rather than as a speed march.
      2) When you wear your fighting load, the spread if the weight will assist you – and you may not be able to train in tactical vest/PC as a commenter mentioned above – you may just have to wear a ruck or perhaps a weight vest.
      3) Don’t carry too much, even if it is spread around your body. Infantry are carrying too much nowadays, which impacts on their agility under fire,.

• Anonymous says:

Stumbling around the Helmand countryside with extreme weight did mean that operating tactically went right out the window. Just could not be done. You’d get fleeting glances of Taliban running around in trainers whilst your blowing out your hoop just shuffling too and fro. Even getting back on to your feet from the kneeling position was an effort. All of us bods and juniors would have been quite happy to have sacrificed ECM and scaling equipment in return for mobility. I would also say that the extreme loads had a mitigating factor in a lot of lads being killed and wounded over the years. The locals know just how heavy our kit is, so would plan their attacks and IED zones accordingly. Sneaky little bastards. Now with the style of old school Brit infantry style of training you teach, it could lead to a sort of role reversal. If and when the US goes tits up and the Goons are out hunting in force, chances are they will be the ones that will be weighed down with all the gear (and no idea) which could be a major game changer. That will be one of their weak links in their armour.

One thing worth adding to your No 1). One of the training methods I did in my own time was to go jogging/fast walking with one of those discreet weight vests and ankle/wrist weights. Having ankle weights was good to simulate the effects of having an extra couple of pounds of mud stuck to your boots and the wrist weights to simulate weapon carrying (carrying a rifle outside of working hours around the local countryside just wasn’t possible!).

SP

• ” All of us bods and juniors would have been quite happy to have sacrificed ECM and scaling equipment in return for mobility. I would also say that the extreme loads had a mitigating factor in a lot of lads being killed and wounded over the years. The locals know just how heavy our kit is, so would plan their attacks and IED zones accordingly.”

Pearls of wisdom….conditioning, strength, wind stamina, all very important. Being able to walk long distances with heavy packs…very important. Culling gear so that all you have is what you actually need is just as or more important, especially when one considers SHTF scenarios.

SP: can you email me?

• Chuck says:

SP makes a really great point re: carrying the absurd amount of kit that coalition forces carry in Afghanistan as it might apply to the upcoming North American festivities. When I was over there several years back, we’d watch with envy as the ANA (Afghan soldiers) scampered up ridgelines carrying nothing but an AK and a light chest rig with nothing in it but 3 or 4 mags and a half liter water bottle. We were weighted down with too much ammo, plates, helmets, etc. And there was no such thing as dismounted ECM or side SAPIs at the time. We had it comparatively easy at the time, the reality is far worse today.
      My point is to echo what he said about the “goons” carrying the same load out here in CONUS that they carry over there and how we might take an asymmetric approach by not attempting to mimic them with heavy loads and full armor. We won’t have the supporting arms they have so we’ll need to use speed, stealth and mobility to counter their firepower. All they have to do is find and fix us on foot. They’ll do the finishing with air and artillery (like it or not, that is the American way of war). Our best hope is to avoid the find part, failing that, don’t let them fix us, because if they do, they WILL finish us.

6. Michael Powers says:

I started hunting with my father-in-law 15 years ago. I had a lot of experience backpacking in the high sierras (1-2 week excursions). We hunt WAY off the beaten path, hiking in for at least 2 days to remote areas all over the west and hunt hard (glass and stalk). We routinely carry between 40-50 pounds in our packs plus a rifle and 10 lbs gear on our persons. The first year he ran me into the ground!!!! Since then, I hike at least 7 miles a day with a pack (either in the outdoors or on the treadmill with at least a 7% incline) 5 days a week. I routinely carry weights in my hands as well as 5-10 lbs of gear on my belt/pockets. 4 months before hunting season, I up my mileage and frequency and do day long hikes in the mountains on the weekends. I realize this doesn’t get me to the point of being out in the world after SHTF, I find I can go all day for two weeks carrying my pack, rifle, heavy clothes and boots during hunting season without difficulty.

7. I can run 5 miles with 40lbs. Force march 10 miles with 40lbs. Run between 1 and 2 miles with my full kit of 80lbs. No terribly fast you understand, but I can show. North of 61 years now. I’ll be seeing you in March with at least a fire team and quite possibly a full squad. I’ll be a few weeks shy of 62 at that time. I don’t expect any problems.

8. Ryan says:

The biggest mistake I see in people coming back from a long period (over several months, often years or decades) of inactivity is trying to start exercising based on something they used to do without realistically assessing their current physical capabilities. Example it doesn’t matter what physical feats Jim did in his glory days. He needs to start out based on the current Jim who is 40 pounds overweight, didn’t run a mile last year TOTAL and hasn’t carried a ruck in ages. What was an easy workout a decade ago might literally kill him now.

The biggest mistake in people who are just getting into exercise (in this case rucking) from a period, or maybe lifetime, of inactivity is expecting too much too fast. They didn’t get out of shape in a month but somehow they expect to be Mr Super fitness after a month. Expecting real serious results to take several months or maybe a year is probably more realistic though nobody wants to hear that in our modern world.

Generally I do not like running with a ruck as training. To me the rewards in comparison to a fast walk, or tab as you like to call it, does not merit the brutal toll it takes on your body.

I do see merit in keeping some sort of time standard. Otherwise rucking turns into a slow lethargic affair with negligible cardio benefits. Fifteen minute miles might be a but ambitious but 17:30 is a decent pace. Heck keep it to 20 at least assuming flat or gently rolling terrain. Otherwise you’ve got to walk for hours to get much benefit and most folks don’t have time for that. Maybe the answer is to push for time on some rucks and distance on others. Do a fast (for your age/ condition) 2-3 miles on Tuesday and Friday push for a longer slower paced ruck.

Well those are my thoughts on that.

9. JC Dodge says:

To start, I’m not a huge fan of rucking (who is?), and with that being said, I hate push mowing too. A few years ago, I decided to streamline my training regimen, and I started push mowing with all my gear on (I know it looks absurd). I’ve found that it gives me more time to train, without sacrificing as much time with the kids. Mowing an acre and a half with all your gear on is a good test. It lets you do all kinds of maneuvering with that gear on, unlike a typical road march, and is working your body in more ways than just rucking alone will do. I augment my road marches with the ruck mowing, and it has made a huge difference in my “comfort” level while training.

10. Anonymous says:

As I was watching a “training video” over at “Free North Carolina”; I realized something. Your average 325lb donut eater has no intention of EVER moving his “ruck” any further than the back of his SUV. They PLAN to conduct “opps” by driving around conducting 50 meter or less “firefights” -jumping back in the car and speeding away-and yes they DO plan on having theme music-and beer-and donuts. OMG Its the Homer Simpson militia!—Ray

11. Anonymous says:

Slow Old Gramps, 17 seconds to react to contact–hugging the bullet magnet while trying to shoot under it? They don’t make them out of steel any more. Hippie Starbucks Pre-us is not what I’d call “cover”. The “17th” needs to spend WAY more time on PT and basics.—Ray

12. CharginDave says:

Great article Max. You guys might want to check out Goruck.com. Great website run by former Special Operations guys. They have a training section were they post daily workouts, ruckoffs and general things to get you through there signature GoRuck Challenge. They also have a beginners section “Ready in Six Weeks. All in all a great site with stand up people making better Americans

13. Semper Fi, 0321 says:

Carrying a 50 lb pack up here in the Wyoming Wind River Mtn’s absolutely kicks my ass, the altitude averages 8-11,000′. Packing in 6-8 miles to a backcountry lake is a tough hike with that weight, doing it every day is nuts. The hardcore Continental Divide hikers have worked their ultralight loads down to 25 lbs, for good reason, it is sustainable on an everyday level. You also have to remember this terrain is all rocks and goes up and down like a snake, not quite like jogging at Ft. Bragg.
    I hunt with a 25 lb pack; food,water, survival and cold weather gear, etc. It’s better, but still leaves you huffing and puffing, climbing almost straight up thru rock slides. Just did it last Thursday in a foot of wet snow, didn’t get too far before exhaustion kicked in.
    Carrying all that heavy weight ‘down below’ may work for you, but I doubt anyone will be able to carry that much gear, plates, heavy weapons, etc, up here, and go anywhere. The mtns of Afghanistan are very similar to this area also, and as someone else noted, the bad guys, just like the VC did, carry no weight and haul ass when needed. We have got to learn to drop all the weight and operate with lighter loads, your gear will kill you way before the enemy does.
    And again, let the goons here run themselves to death with heavy loads, while we shoot and scurry off, with much lighter loads. In training this is good, but for combat, lose the weight, besides, who’s gonna carry you out?

14. Dr. Richard says:

Love the discussion of rucking here and elsewhere as it is very relevant for both getting into shape and for preparing for the coming festivities. Like so many, I got out of shape and put on about 40 lbs over a 13 year period. In early July, I had a doctor tell me I had “Sedentary disease” at age 43 and order me to get one of the fitbit one devices from http://www.fitbit.com — this device measures steps, floors, calories, and distance AND holds you accountable. I started a training program twelve weeks ago and have worked my way to doing daily 5 mile rucks with a 25 lb pack and a 15 minutes per mile pace. In the process, I have shed 22 lbs, have greatly improved both my endurance and fitness, have lowered my blood pressure, and am feeling much better. I also have had some nasty blisters that forced changes in socks, shoes, preventive taping using leuokotape, etc. I also pushed too hard caring a 42 lb pack 5.5 miles when I didn’t have the right footcare and already had a foot injury.

For the next 12 weeks, I will slowly add weight and will try to do a longer distance ruck at least once per week. So far the program has made a hell of a difference in getting me into fighting shape. My plan is to take Max’s class next spring — I could have done it this summer but I came to the conclusion that PT was more important given that I’ve had several comparable classes with other instructors and that Max’s training would be more effective once I got back into fighting shape. Sadly, the coming festivities could happen before I can take his class but at least I will be physically ready.

The GoRuck cadre are insane and push way too far – especially for their advanced events. Might just have to do one of their tough events if the festivities haven’t started next spring. Of course, the local {fat lazy overweight} sheep think I’m insane for doing 35+ miles of rucking (with another 20 miles of walking) a week and don’t like the fact that I’m losing weight and getting into shape while they remain fat asses.