TRAINING PREREQUISITE: COMBAT TEAM TACTICS
Combat Patrol / Direct Action is a four day class which moves beyond the basics of the Combat Team Tactics (CTT) class, covering essential unconventional warfare tactics, techniques and procedures. It will give you the knowledge and training that you will need to not only defend your home base, but also to know what techniques hostile forces may use against you. Topics include:
- Patrol Techniques.
- Gear: carriage and use.
- Living in the field.
- Patrol Base.
- Ground Domination Activity (GDA) / Security Patrolling.
It is a requirement to have attended Combat Team Tactics (CTT) prior to Combat Patrol. This class will involve tactical movement, actions on contact including break contact drills, ambush, raid and reconnaissance patrols. This is a live fire class.
Classes are open to prior CTT students only. Priced at $800 per person for the four days.
Note: as part of Mobile Classes, or at the VTC, Direct Action classes may be advertised that are shorter than the full 4 days, perhaps 2 or 3 days duration. Class content will be specified on the specific class raining page. These are abbreviated Combat Patrol classes, focusing on Ambush and Raid.
Combat Patrol Outline Curriculum (4 Day):
Class outline (subject to rearrangement):
Day 1 ‘Basics:’
- Patrol Theory: Principles and mechanics of planning and organizing a patrol.
- Patrol Movement/Security.
- Live Fire Revision from CTT:
- Assault Drills.
- Team Break Contact Drills.
Day 2 ‘Reconnaissance:’
- Gear: ruck/patrol pack theory, equipment and packing.
- Patrol Movement/Security.
- Reconnaissance Patrol: Close Target Recce.
- ‘Actions On.’
- PM: Live Fire: This follows on as a progression from the drills learned on CTT:
- Overwatch & multiple team break contact drills.
- The MVT Box Peel – L-Shaped ambush / multiple firing point technique.
- Night: Practical Reconnaissance Patrol Exercise.
Day 3 ‘Ambush:’
- AM: Ambush theory & Rehearsals.
- AM: Live Fire Ambush Patrol
- PM: Live Fire Ambush Patrol
Day 4 ‘Attack Day:’
- Hasty Attack - live fire.
- Raid (Deliberate Attack) – live fire.
- Class AAR
Accommodation: The second night of the class (night of day 2) will include a day / night reconnaissance patrol, complete by midnight.
Gear: The standard CTT suggested equipment list remains in place for Combat Patrol. In addition, you will be expected to bring and carry a lite patrol pack in addition to your load bearing equipment (i.e. battle belt/chest rig/plates).
For winter classes, Make sure you bring cold weather and rain gear, a full change of your tactical training clothing, spare socks, hat, gloves, headover etc. Not all of this gear needs to be carried all of the time, but it should be available. Conditions dependent.
A headlamp is invaluable for non-tactical phases, with a red or green filter. Bring a small tactical flashlight (red or green capable). For tactical operations at night, including the patrol base, you will not be using light. NO LIGHT. Light discipline in the patrol base will mean you will have to be able to pack, unpack and find gear in the dark.
Ammunition: 1,200 – 1,500 rounds approx. More is always useful.
Technology: If you have NVGs and FLIR, bring it. We will work with what we have, just like SHTF. If you don’t have night vision, or don’t want to use it, that is fine. If you want to use it, that is also fine.
Safety: Bring a whistle on a lanyard and a chemical light stick. This will form part of your safety equipment for the night recce patrol. Pen flares and a compass/map will be loaned.
Wrist Watch: analogue watch with luminous dial/hands is preferred.